Lupo 3l 1.2 TDI loosing power

woodyrvf750

Hi

I've done about 30k km in my 3l over the last 12 months in my second period of owning this amazing machine. At the weekend we did a 300 mile round trip and started loosing power.  This hasn't happened before  I pulled over and had a look at the turbo.

From the attached photo it looks like the turbo inlet pipe is working its way away from the turbo. I wiggled it back on and this immediately restored power.

Anyone else had this problem? Is this a likely cause of power loss or should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks. 

rps20190409_094747_239.jpg

I assume you turned it off to wiggle the pipe and then turned it back on to immediately restored power? Turning it off then on is a known fix for several things that could have kicked it into limp mode.

Get fault codes read. It could be sucking in air there beyond the maf and kicking it to limp mode.

• Like 1

I did turn it off to poke around, so maybe turning off and on reset it rather than my pipe adjustments.

Here's the fault;

1 Fault Found:
17964 - Charge Pressure Control 
            P1556 - 35-10 - Negative Deviation - Intermittent
Readiness: 0 0 X X X 

Which gives this this on the Ross Tech site;

Possible Symptoms

• Reduced power output
  • Limp mode

Possible Causes

• Boost Pressure too Low
  • Hoses/Pipes incorrect connected, disconnected or leaking
  • Charger Pressure Control defective
    • VNT (variable nozzle turbo): nozzles stuck
  • Solenoid Valve for Boost Pressure Control (N75) defective

Possible Solutions

• Check Hoses/Pipes to/between Components
  • Check Solenoid Valve for Boost Pressure Control (N75)
  • Check / Clean / Replace Charge Pressure Control
    • Check / Clean mechanism for variable nozzles

Looks like the poor fitting hose could be the problem.  Shame they aren't available from VW.  I'll look to make up some kind of large washer to hold it in place.  Anyone got a known fix?

Thanks

It's more likely the boost side of things and your pipe there is a red herring as there is (or should be) an O ring in the joint to make the seal.

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/lupo++lupo+3l+tdi/lu/2001-231/1/129-129023/

Make sure the actuator (charge pressure control) moves when activated in vcds and that the vanes it operates arent stuck with carbon.

Edited by Sausage

• 2 years later...
On 4/10/2019 at 2:45 PM, woodyrvf750 said:

Sausage, could you point me in the right direction on how to test the charge pressure control with vcds?

Thanks

Hi woody, I've the same problem on my 3L. 

Same fault code + MAF (16485) + a big boost leak sound. Inlet turbo pipe...that's the same as yours too.

Have you solved your problem?

Ivan 

Edited by Ivan3L

• 1 month later...

Hi Ivan3L, my turbo actuator was sticky, the garage just sprayed it with some lubricant.  I'm sure it will need changing again soon.

My 3L has been off the road since the start of this month & I'm just about to give it a good service to get it up and running again. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2021 at 9:39 AM, woodyrvf750 said:

Hi Ivan3L, my turbo actuator was sticky, the garage just sprayed it with some lubricant.  I'm sure it will need changing again soon.

My 3L has been off the road since the start of this month & I'm just about to give it a good service to get it up and running again. 

I would say that the VNT mechanism is gummed up. Your turbo needs an overhaul. In future try using non-supermarket fuel; supermarket fuel lacks the additives to keep the VNT mechanism clean.

RAB

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/21/2021 at 10:22 AM, RAB said:

I would say that the VNT mechanism is gummed up. Your turbo needs an overhaul. In future try using non-supermarket fuel; supermarket fuel lacks the additives to keep the VNT mechanism clean.

RAB

That's it! I overhauled the turbo and everything is perfect again! After that only supreme fuel and additives. Thank you