Early Lupo 3L Tailgate with OEM Lupo GTI Spoiler or Other OEM VAG / Votex Spoiler

dretsae

Hi,

Does anyone have a link or photos of an early 3L tailgate with an OEM Lupo GTI spoiler or other OEM VAG / Votex spoiler installed?  I realize all the previously mentioned options will needed to modified to fit properly.   As I am sure you are aware, the Lupo GTI spoiler would need to be extended at the tips of each side to meet up with the edge of the extended (upper area) of the early 3L gate .  I am just curious if the Lupo GTI spoiler will fit somewhat properly other than the previously mentioned needed mod.  Any help with this detail would be appreciated.  The 3rd brake light hole would also need be filled or blacked out due to the brake light being fitted in the interior of this tailgate.  My goal is to keep an aluminum tailgate on the vehicle for weight savings / higher MPG reasons.  

I am also open to quality aftermarket options without the split or indention in the middle.  Sorry in advance if I missed another post on this topic during my search this info.

Thanks

13 hours ago, Rich said:

Google the SSP and read it.

Been looking... got a link? Magnesium for christ's sake!?! That's a bit spesh' just for a tailgate... 

Interesting read... knew a fair amount already, but bloomen heck it's about as complicated a car as the A8 or Phaeton... lots more to go wrong compared to the SDI. And all that to save just 150kg. Might save money on the fuel bill, but hey, the repair bills will cost a lot more than the average lupo. So all in all, probably not worth it now it's becoming an old car. Unless you have all the tools. And a shed full of spares. Even the wheel bearings need special this and that... I wonder how much extra it cost compared to the SDI when new.

Probably true even if salt has corroded all the ali bits away... But in a thousand years someone will find an SDI in a cave somewhere and it'll start first time and go like it had just been parked :)

The early 3L tailgate had a magnesium frame with an aluminium skin. VW replaced it with a steel one because they wanted more weight over the rear wheels. That's why the battery was moved to the rear. Before this modification, the rear bumper had two lead weights. Even efterwards, the bumper still had one lead weight! VW's story is that they did this because the early tailgates were corroding. We have two of these tailgates and after twenty and eighteen years, neither is showing any sign of corrosion.

RAB

On 4/9/2019 at 6:12 PM, Blue Loop said:

At the end of they day, a 3L will always be worth something. And an SDi won't...

This is true.

On 4/9/2019 at 8:59 PM, mk2 said:

Probably true even if salt has corroded all the ali bits away... But in a thousand years someone will find an SDI in a cave somewhere and it'll start first time and go like it had just been parked :)

And so is this. After a nuclear bomb, the only things left remaining on this earth will be termites, AK47's, Peavey amplifiers and Lupo SDI's.

3L is a very interesting car from a technical point of view. More capable than the SDi on the road thanks to the turbo and lower weight.

But if you just want a car that will work forever, SDi's are the way to go :D

I'm very tempted to go for that 3L on here at the mo. IF I could find a way to keep everything completely standard, with the exception of the auto shifting box function, I'd do it. I don't know any way of deleting the throttle control and gear changing. Any ideas anyone?

• 1 month later...

Thanks for finally helping me figure out why the lead inserts were installed into the rear bumper support holes @RAB.  Any idea how they are secured to the body?  I have yet to find bolts or other types of fasteners securing the two weights.  

In regards to the Subject of this post, has anybody seen an OEM Lupo GTI spoiler, other OEM VAG modified spoiler options, or an after market spoiler (modified or stock) to fit this early tailgate?  

Any idea if an early 6N OEM Polo spoiler is a close fit for this early 3L tailgate? Here is the part number:  6N0827933C.  I realize the Polo tailgate is not a direct fit overall fit, but thought the upper section of the gate might be more similar to a 3L.  This option also does not include a 3rd brake light which is nice.  As you know, the early 3L gates feature the 3rd brake light in the interior trim (like a MK4 Golf, etc).   

Thanks.