Honda B16 Engine Swap

finhugs

Has anyone ever swapped a Honda B series engine or anything similar into their Lupo? Is it even possible? I know a Polo GTi conversion would be miles easier but tbh if I was going to put in the effort to engine swap I'd want to make something a bit more unique.

Any help or information is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance 👍

Edited by finhugs

Sounds like a great idea, pretty compact and powerful engine, they are pretty easy to get to well over 200 brake NASP 

They fit these to proper Mini's, shouldn't be a problem in a Lupo. These have the box on the other side, may be a bit more involved making mounts

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LR5V said:

Sounds like a great idea, pretty compact and powerful engine, they are pretty easy to get to well over 200 brake NASP 

They fit these to proper Mini's, shouldn't be a problem in a Lupo. These have the box on the other side, may be a bit more involved making mounts

Thanks, that's an interesting point about the gearbox being on the other side 🤔 in all honesty I'd be most likely getting a garage to carry out the work as this would be beyond my realms. There's just this idea stuck in my head of a lovechild between a Lupo and a Kanjo Civic 😂

Its a very expensive path you are on. Seem to recall someone wrote on here that 1.8t conversion is about £5k for a garage to do, that's with lots of parts that will fit together. biggest cost is labour. B series conversion will be interesting but probably be close to that in cost. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LR5V said:

Its a very expensive path you are on. Seem to recall someone wrote on here that 1.8t conversion is about £5k for a garage to do, that's with lots of parts that will fit together. biggest cost is labour. B series conversion will be interesting but probably be close to that in cost. 

Yes I expected it would be expensive. I had plans for air suspension and some other stuff, but now I'm considering the engine conversion instead so the cost works out about the same. Thanks for all the help man 👍

Sounds a bit like project miatabusa... now that was an awesome project. Probably the best engine ever made mated to a small car. Lots of engineering for you geeks if you haven't heard about it. :)

If you are looking to do this cheap but have to pay others to do it for you this seems like a non starter. If you cant DIY then it will be expensive and if you are a tight wad like me even then it will be expensive.

The more common the conversion the easier it becomes to do it as the knowledge becomes available, so being the first or one of the few means you have more work to do and problems to solve. Also worth thinking about is that these non VAG conversions never achieve any value when it comes to selling them, people just dont like them. I'd like to stick a Volvo T4 in but just absolutely know the VAG 1.8T is the only sensible choice.

Edited by Sausage
  • Like 1