VW Lupo Brake Servo

iwcham1979

Hello guys, i have a Lupo 3L. We did a manual conversion last year. The ABS is not working any more, and as a result I need to remove the ABS module and fit a master brake cylinder from a Lupo/Polo/Ibiza that came from factory without ABS. I am not sure whether I can reuse my current brake servo and just buy a non abs cylinder?! I hope that you can help me. My brake servo part no. is 6N1614105L. I can google out that both 1.0 and 1.2Tdi have the same brake servo, but is the brake servo with this part number only for ABS fitted cars? I am not sure if I can bolt on the non abs master cylinder in it... Thanks!

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Brake-Master-Cylinder-VW-Seat-POLO-CORDOBA-PASSAT-IBIZA-II-2-GOLF-III-3/123669233461?hash=item1ccb42bf35:g:jgAAAOSwPrtb0vxd

https://www.proxyparts.com/car-parts-stock/result/part-number/6n1614105l/part/brake-servo/

i need to mount this on it....

Edited by iwcham1979

Afraid its not as easy as what you are planning -  you could do it that way, but your car may become dangerous.

Can you not source another ABS unit - part number is the black box that the cables connect to?  - not the cylinder that is the pump or the alloy valve block. They can be repaired, on Mk3 golfs the common fail was the circuits to the ABS sensors, the solder joint on the circuit board would go dry - re-soldering would sort them out, but opening and resealing that unit was a nightmare.

Basically you are planning on converting to older pre-ABS set up. This system had a proportioning valve attached to the rear axle that would adjust the amount of fluid pressure depending on how much load the vehicle was carrying - this would stop the rear end locking up under heavy breaking, pretty much the same as suddenly having he handbrake on, making a bad situation a lot worse as you go into a spin.

The big issue here is if your 3L has the correct mounting position for the valve on the rear axle?

The valve is number 10 below, I suspect you will need all the stuff around it, maybe source it from an scarp yard:

Wheels, brakes Volkswagen LU 2005 brake servo brake force regulator

And you also need to be aware that the brake pipes run differently from ABS type - valve isn't numbered, but easy to find below -  with the age of our cars you are probably best to make new pipes + its better not having a join where the ABS unit was, run continuous new brake line to each corner:Wheels, brakes Volkswagen LU 2005 brake pipe brake hose rear

If you do decide to bin the ABS  - I would say if the master cylinder fits the servo, and there is no issue with it, retain your existing one.

Personally, if its a road car, I would be looking to fix the ABS rather than all this extra work.

Thanks for the reply and some clarifications :) Unfortunately, ABS has to go because it is deeply integrated and controlled by the gearbox ECU, that is removed as no longer needed... The proportioning valve that you mentioned... I have read that 3L which comes fitted with ABS has it? Is this true?

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/lupo++lupo+3l+tdi/lu/1999-231/6/612-612010/

Edited by iwcham1979

Unless the 3L is different from other ABS systems  - No - wheel sensors in ABS system detect if rear wheels are locking up, and there is also a potentiometer that attaches to the rear beam, this tells the system how loaded the car is.

VW parts schematics are not very accurate, best to look at what you already have on the left side of the beam near the bush.

Guys, somehow, my ABS appears to be working now... Many people told me ABS doesn't work with manual conversion, and I must have taken it for granted... I think it didn't work with the old map... Now i tried braking at higher speed and I do get clear pulsating feedback from the brake pedal... I don't know how... Maybe....The guy who was working on my current map could have been really good.... I was puzzled by the fact that I don't have any ABS related warnings on the dash, so I thought I might test it on asphalt.... I will investigate further... The issue with my brakes not being very good may be because I need new disks and am still on oem aluminium drums.... i will replace... Brake fluid may have never been replaced as well.....I will replace it... im like wtf! it works... I guess it works...🤔🤔