1.7sdi

Darran

Drill a socket sized hole in the bumper underneath, to allow easy access to one of the filter box bolts. You'll see which when you do it. You can bend it out of the way, but as the plastic is getting older, they have a tendancy to snap. If you don't like the idea of vandalising your car, use a hot air blower (hair dryer) to warm the plastic first. Don't overtighten when reassembling :)

Managed to do air filter I found I had enough room without drilling a hole the old filter wasn’t looking the best so are there any other easy jobs I can do to clean up the engine I’ve done oil and filter and all other filters I have Also today taken trumpets off and clean all of them and the box ect I did atempt the EGR valve but the alley key bolt seams rounded slightly so I’ll get a good quality alley key to try it again 

Edited by Darran
Trumpets cleaned

Yeah, always good to clean out the plenum and trumpets. Make sure nothing drops into any of the inlet ducts in the head.

keep the two thin vacuum pipes disconnected (and blocked off) to keep EGR disabled for the time being. You dont need a blanking plate. Only vacuum to brake servo.

last thing- plug the oil breather hole into the plenum (i used a bicycle handlebar end plug and some silicone), and rotate the vent pipe 90 degrees clockwise and connect a flexi hose or piece of 20mm electrical conduit to divert the oil fumes down towards the road, under the car. I used cable ties to secure everything down.

On mine after two years, inlet plenum still looking shiny and new and extra bonus is economy has got better and emissions lower. :)