Diagnosis on problems?

con9t2

Hi,

Recently picked up a 2002 Arosa 1.0L petrol just for a little resto project, wondering about a few niggles I've come across already..

Previous owner recently replaced HT leads and gear linkage, past 3 MOT's have been fine so it's been looked after relatively well. The engine light is on and has been on for months according to previous owner, after a bit of reading it's either a case of cleaning out the throttle body or replacing the clutch release bearing, not sure on the location of the TB though.

Also, used an OBD2 reader and it threw up a P0404 code, but can't seem to find what that is? Do I need to use a vag specific obd2 reader or is any just fine? Cleared the codes and engine light went off for all of 20 mins until it came back on - apparently a common issue.

The final problem I've come across is at some certain point the revs go from 1k idling to 500, chugging sound coming from clutch which is why I think the clutch release bearing needs replacing - but may as well do a full kit replace.

Sorry for the amount of questions for a first post but thought I'd settle in

Thanks

Fault code looks like EGR valve.  500 idle is too low and probably the noise you hear is the gearbox or clutch rattling because of the vibrations. Fix the slow idle before worrying about a clutch.

Look for vacuum leaks on the pipes for starters. Get cheap KKL and VCDS lite for codes and much more.

Welcome to the Club!

1 hour ago, Sausage said:

Fault code looks like EGR valve.  500 idle is too low and probably the noise you hear is the gearbox or clutch rattling because of the vibrations. Fix the slow idle before worrying about a clutch.

Look for vacuum leaks on the pipes for starters. Get cheap KKL and VCDS lite for codes and much more.

Welcome to the Club!

Thanks man! Do you think getting a bluetooth ocb2 and getting the Torque Lite app will work the same? Just because I don't really have a laptop spare, more of a desktop guy D:

Yeah I have noticed a hissing noise, going to give it a good looking round on my day off this week and have a tinker, wanted to clean the throttle body/EGR out, I've been told different things as to what my car actually has but I'm sure I'll figure it out haha 

Thanks!

Edited by con9t2

No idea, some use bluetooth OBD dongles and whatnot, I should probably look into it but you can get an old corporate laptop running windows 98 for £20 or less and stuff it with diagnostic stuff, the KKL lead for £5 and find full vcds lite v1.0 on internet for £0. It keeps it all separate from your main laptop / PC that way as well so safer all round.

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 1:32 PM, Sausage said:

No idea, some use bluetooth OBD dongles and whatnot, I should probably look into it but you can get an old corporate laptop running windows 98 for £20 or less and stuff it with diagnostic stuff, the KKL lead for £5 and find full vcds lite v1.0 on internet for £0. It keeps it all separate from your main laptop / PC that way as well so safer all round.

Ah awesome I'll deffo look into that.

As for now, I'm gonna spend the weekend cleaning the egr, give it a service, replace leads and clutch etc. Hopefully this'll solve the problems that I currently have.

There is just another thing too, while driving there's a whirring noise as if something is grinding. I've checked the brakes all around and nothing scrubbing etc. From the inside it sounds like it's coming from passenger side but I have a suspicion it's coming from the rear axle? I'm gonna jack it up on the weekend and have a look but is this something you've come across before?