lupo GTI Oil Light on dashboard intermittent

Hi all,

I have just put back together the interior on the lupo after having it stripped for around 3 months. I started the car and the oil light came on after maybe 10 seconds. so i switched her off. ( i have oil on max.)

Initial thoughts were dodgy pressure switch as this was never an issues before hand, however, in all other cars i own the light remains on until the engine starts and oil pressure builds where as the lupo doesnt. it shows when i first turn on the ignition however goes away straight away and doesnt appear again until approx 10 seconds.

I started it again a few times with varying amounts of running time and sometimes it came on straight away, others i could run it till its hot and it not come on.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with something similar?

cheers

2 hours ago, LR5V said:

mine would flash up and the buzzer also go off whilst driving, I nearly soiled myself the first time!

That is the correct reaction! Very funny :) Seriously just LOL!

it's like the flat line sound when a cardiac monitor tells you that a person's heart just stopped beating..... "oh holy carp" as you dive for the ignition switch to turn the engine off....

Back in 2000 I had a undie soiling moment when overtaking on a dual carriageway doing 70mph and oil light came on my Rover 218TD, immediately dip clutch, abort overtake, switch off engine within 3 seconds avoiding steering lock and coast to a stop. Oil all over the engine bay, and the ground. AA man recovered me and cleaned up my mess with sand. the oil cooler hose had burst. Replaced hose for £20, engine undamaged. Always respect the oil warning light.