OEM Suspension or Not? Lupo GTI

Lupifer

I’ve been searching for posts regarding suspensions but unfortunately any with pictures don’t seem to display themselves for me. We are looking to tackle job ourselves but would REALLY appreciate any help and advice as we are novices!

Just purchased a Lupo GTI 2002 6 speed but it has been fitted with a poor set of coilovers and non standard wheels so we are changing them back to factory wheels and wanted to ask are the OEM shocks and springs worth putting back on or is it better to get something else for similar money, bearing in mind just been quoted by local VW garage £636 inc vat for shocks and springs all round. We are after a comfortable ride whilst still offering a reasonable level of handling. Not keen on lowering the vehicle too much if at all.

Is it wise to change bushes/mounts etc whilst doing job? This may be an obvious question so apologies but would rather ask than not :)

many thanks 

For that price you could get much better aftermarket springs and shocks, such as Bilstein B12 kit springs to mind (pun intended)  - I have a B14 kit in my Golf really comfy, but great handling, great build quality. My Lupo came with AP coilovers, have to say they are really good, not harsh and great handling + about a 3rd cheaper than the VW price. 

You will need your tracking re-set after the work, and to get the best experience out of new suspension- you may as well get as much out of the way in one go - so change any bushes and ball joints, top mounts.

Make sure whoever does the tracking has 3D gear and knows how to use it - some places just do toe alone, that is no good.

Thank you for your replies, much appreciated. The ride is extremely harsh at the moment so would like to replace them sooner rather than wait. We have bilsteins on our T5 but hadn’t managed to find any posts mentioning this brand, it seemed the AP and KW brands were preferred. I will google the bilsteins now :)

May be best to investigate what you have already got on the GTi - just in case you manage to get the same again! 

AP,  Weitec & KW are all made by the same people - the difference is quality with AP being value , in midrage Weitec,  they have better valving and KW being best quality everything  - all apparently have a similar feel. I also read AP develop their suspension on actual cars, not on a test bench.

I will say the design of rear adjuster on the AP ones on mine is not the best - there is no lock ring or grub screw, one side had wound itself down and took a lot of effort to unfreeze and wind back up - I would expect the better quality ones would be easier to free off.

Remember coil overs add an extra complication of height adjustment - just something extra to deal with over normal style shocks and springs

Not imposible, but suspect you are not seeing the adjuster  -This is my rear suspension during rebuild, the adjuster is there:

SecLRh.jpg

They are not the same design as the fronts - the adjuster is under the spring

This is the lengths I had to go to to unfreeze my adjuster, out of picture is the angle grinder I had to cut a slot to hold it still:

yPnnhz.jpg

Edited by LR5V