No more retail sales TPS - getting rid of the "Andys"

LR5V

Visited Edinburgh TPS today, notices on every door stating that from Monday the counter was for collection only, any purchases needed to be made over the phone and trade accounts would also be required.

So no more walk in retail sales, The guy serving me said it was a directive from head office to all TPS outlets, when other counters move over seems to be up to them. Think he said Leeds had been operating like that for years. I asked if I needed an account, he said I was OK as I was a good customer he had known for years, and If I had any bother with other staff I just needed to ask for him. He went on to say some private customers spend more than trade each year, so if you have an existing "relationship" with staff at TPS you should be fine. Hopefully this may help reduce the number of invoices, I swear I have entire trees worth of them from TPS!

The Andy's - they are what the TPS counter staff call the customers who blurt out "And another thing..."  just as they get given their parts, I have been stuck behind a few at TPS & probably guilty of this as well!

Only used TPS (vdub's own genuine parts outlet for those that don't know) once and decided wasn't worth it. The prices are the usually same as local dealers, so only in an emergency if you need a part right now. Usually a local dealer can get bits from milton keynes next day, or from germany within 2 days. So i often just go direct to germany and order from there. Gets here within a couple of days, and usually cheaper too. Only 15 euros delivery too.

3 hours ago, mk2 said:

Only used TPS (vdub's own genuine parts outlet for those that don't know) once and decided wasn't worth it. The prices are the usually same as local dealers, so only in an emergency if you need a part right now. Usually a local dealer can get bits from milton keynes next day, or from germany within 2 days. So i often just go direct to germany and order from there. Gets here within a couple of days, and usually cheaper too. Only 15 euros delivery too.

Yes - their prices are the same, but I have not used my dealer for a good while, back then it used to be 4 days for getting stuff but with TPS they are a lot quicker getting parts in, got even quicker :how does order at 3pm arrive first thing next morning sound? My dealer also moved out of town, TPS is a lot closer to me and I get a bit of discount.

Tell me about your the direct to Germany thing?

20 minutes ago, Rich said:

I find it very stupid that any business would simply choose to decline money.

I think there is other things at play, payment up front and staff efficiency,