Tdi ecu reading problem

Fa51wan

Has anyone had the same problem or know what might be the cause? Taken my tdi to get remapped and the guy has rung me saying he's having problems reading the ecu. First he couldnt read it at all then it loaded but went. Any ideas? 

Just now, Fa51wan said:

Could it really be that simple 

Yes, it could be. Those aftermarket looms are a minefield. Some re-route the K-Line into 12v which causes absolute chaos for scan tools, some route it to ground which simply results in no comms. The scan tool pulls the K-Line to ground so either of those two scenarios can cause problems. If it's not that, then another module is jamming up your K-Line. Radio is your best place to start though.

I had similar trying to get vcds to link up, tried different interfaces and software etc, nothing worked. Then found this:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/aftermarket-radio.html

The aftermarket stereo, or more specifically the aftermarket wiring harness had put 12v onto the K-Line and was stopping the interface connecting up. Disconnected the stereo wiring harness and it all connected up fine.

6 hours ago, Skezza said:

Yes, it could be. Those aftermarket looms are a minefield. Some re-route the K-Line into 12v which causes absolute chaos for scan tools, some route it to ground which simply results in no comms. The scan tool pulls the K-Line to ground so either of those two scenarios can cause problems. If it's not that, then another module is jamming up your K-Line. Radio is your best place to start though.

15 minutes ago, RvB said:

I had similar trying to get vcds to link up, tried different interfaces and software etc, nothing worked. Then found this:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/aftermarket-radio.html

The aftermarket stereo, or more specifically the aftermarket wiring harness had put 12v onto the K-Line and was stopping the interface connecting up. Disconnected the stereo wiring harness and it all connected up fine.

Thanks for that guys I did mention it to the garage but he said it wouldn't be that. Taking it somewhere else tomorrow so hopefully all goes well. 

15 hours ago, Fa51wan said:

Thanks for that guys I did mention it to the garage but he said it wouldn't be that. Taking it somewhere else tomorrow so hopefully all goes well. 

It wouldn't be that...... based on what exactly? How is he flashing the ECU? If he's using the OBD2 port, it will be using the K-Line. Fact.

54 minutes ago, Skezza said:

It wouldn't be that...... based on what exactly? How is he flashing the ECU? If he's using the OBD2 port, it will be using the K-Line. Fact.

Don't know mate he just looked at me like it was a stupid Idea, taking it to someone today will provabky just disconnect my radio and see if it works 

9 minutes ago, Sausage said:

It sounds like taking it somewhere else is a good idea, ask the new guy about it and see what he says too mind. Are they just flashing a file on or actually remapping yours? 

Custom tune

On 3/7/2019 at 11:25 AM, Fa51wan said:

Don't know mate he just looked at me like it was a stupid Idea, taking it to someone today will provabky just disconnect my radio and see if it works 

Well he's an idiot then because it's a common problem.

Took it somewhere else and he had the same problem. Said if it does work without the radio in when it's back in it might mess with it. He did say he can do it on the bench but then it's not custom tune 😫