Setting up ko3 turbo on 1.4 lupo s

NajitsirK95

Hello guys

I'm looking for some knowledge about setting up ko3 turbo from polo tsi, the manifold just fits on with the turbo. I want it all done properly, so what will need to be done. I know welding setting up intercooler etc. Mainly whether I'll need new injectors, pistons, decompression plate. What needs doing? 

Welcome to club lupo :)

not done that mod, so you might be on your own. @Rich might know someone who's done the retrofit... I'd guess you'd need to make sure the air flows right between flanges. Die grinder time...

keep everything else stock.

Edited by mk2

if there was a cheap easy way of remapping the ecu on these it would be worth pursuing this, but there wasnt when i looked into it briefly, you have to have it mapped for you for £££s or buy standalone ecu for £££s and probably still have to get that mapped for even more £££s.

You could try the sneaky tail pipe turbo option (no intercooler, much lower intake temps) and run very low boost and swap in some suitably bigger injectors though and see what happens. You would need to drop compression I suspect, a plate or reworked chambers. Pistons would like some oil jets if they dont have any too.

You will need to do some calculations as well to optimise your results.

6 hours ago, mk2 said:

Welcome to club lupo :)

not done that mod, so you might be on your own. @Rich might know someone who's done the retrofit... I'd guess you'd need to make sure the air flows right between flanges. Die grinder time...

keep everything else stock.

4 hours ago, Rich said:

Don't take this the wrong way but if you have to ask these questions, it isn't happening.

Go pay someone, cheaper in the long run.

I won't be doing it my self, I'm having experienced mechanic do it as well as laying out a new map and all

A lot depends what you want to achieve power wise? and why go for the 1.4?

The cost of remapping the existing ECU will probably be a good chunk of the budget - stand alone management may be easier to tune and give you more control, but there is the extra cost.

There is no point going to all this trouble without dropping the compression - decompression plate is the best budget fix, low compression pistons best -if you going for power with pistons you may as well throw in stronger con-rods  in as well.

There are a few turbo threads floating around on here, have a dig around the members cars and project cars sections, but bear in mind most of these projects start with good intensions don't seem to get finished.

If this is a road car have you thought about insurance costs?

7 hours ago, Sausage said:

There is a point quickly reached (usually about sub 5 minutes, more often much sooner) that sticking a 1.8T 20v turbo engine in becomes the more sensible option.

I'll agree on this, much more sense.