LUPO SDI good condition £900 £30tax 149k light blue

IBERIAmark

12 minutes ago, RW89 said:

Well I found the forum you suggested Mark. I can't believe you've gone and done that. If you can't take a man at his word. Well.

Good Friday plans cancelled and a non refundable train fare wasted for that.

Unbelievable. 

Time to find another?

I'll keep my eyes out but won't hold my breath. It's a matter of trust going half way across the country for something that is getting hard to find in decent order.

I did Nottingham to Taunton early last year to buy an Iveco bus. Fortunately that one was there as promised (and as described). 

I'm looking for an SDi for a renewable energy project. We're planning an eventual move to a smallholding where we'll be sowing a few acres of oil crops each year on rotation. The car will be subject to any and all remedial work, nut and bolt if need be, any body treatment (waxoyl etc.) to preserve her and be used with a twin tank system for plant oils.

It'll be nursed until I'm old! 1.4 tdi and common rail aren't suitable for this of course. 

It is something that is obviously possible with other select vehicles and I've done these successfully, but the Lupo/ Arosa at low tax and fuel consumption is the one for us in the high mileages, long journeys and A road speeds we'll be doing. 

Oh, just had a thought... SVO clogs the cat. It's the glycerols that cause the problems. Ah unless you're going down the route of diesters? I've helped a few people do SVO dual tank conversions. Small extra tank for regular diesel and main tank for veggie oil. Thermostatic changeover control and press button purge, which automatically clears whne you switch off. Tell us more about your plans... unusual mods are always interesting.

Biodiesel is not veggie oil (SVO). Basically the oil portion of straight veggie oil is only about 80% (from memory). The rest is made up of glycerols, fatty acids, protiens, sugars and aromas. Veggie oil diesters, or biodiesels are purified SVO, with only the oil component remaining. All the non combustible products have been removed.

The problem is that when you have a hot engine, the non-combustible portion of the SVO gets slowly cooked inside the injector and then turns into a plastic like substance. With newer diesel injectors that use tiny holes instead of a jet, they get clogged with this sticky stuff- game over. That's why most dual fuel systems need to have a purge before you switch off the engine so that no SVO is left in the injection system. Usually starting the changover about 3-5 minutes before parking up. 

• Like 1