1.6 16v gti/AFH hybrid questions

So finally got my build going and stripped my AFH block and sorted the head lapped and new seals etc and going to prep the gti block in the next few weeks.

But if anyone can help on the ignition side, I'm planning on keeping my gti ecu as I don't have a afh one, an also keep the gti ignition (so no afh dizzy).

So here we go.

1. Can I keep the ignition and fab a plate or something to cover the dizzy place on the afh head and mount the coils to said plate?

2. Inlet manifold... Can I keep the gti manifold and throttle body or use the AFH mani and gti throttle body. My goal is to keep the drive by wire and not cable.

3. Some say you can't drill the block but I've heard different if your using carbide drill bits, shall I stick with a custom bolt for the pulley or look into drilled? After reliability really.

I will be keeping the factory EFI as I've got to budget welding work etc. So I'm after making it plug an play (which I know it's not so simple).

I've read up plenty of forums but if I can get these answered it'll be a massive help

The trick here is simply to get the gti ECU to think it's running completely stock. It can control the ignition just as before using coil packs. Yes, cover the dizzy hole. The main things to watch are the sensor input timings. If the ecu thinks the timing is out it'll complain. Everything else fairly straight forward. Only at high revs will you notice a difference once it's running.

17 hours ago, mk2 said:

Only at high revs will you notice a difference once it's running

When you say at high revs is that down to the vvt I assume? Just keeping it stock for now, an reverted back to base tune last year 👍

On 2/23/2019 at 2:03 PM, Prole said:

So finally got my build going and stripped my AFH block and sorted the head lapped and new seals etc and going to prep the gti block in the next few weeks.

But if anyone can help on the ignition side, I'm planning on keeping my gti ecu as I don't have a afh one, an also keep the gti ignition (so no afh dizzy).

So here we go.

1. Can I keep the ignition and fab a plate or something to cover the dizzy place on the afh head and mount the coils to said plate?

2. Inlet manifold... Can I keep the gti manifold and throttle body or use the AFH mani and gti throttle body. My goal is to keep the drive by wire and not cable.

3. Some say you can't drill the block but I've heard different if your using carbide drill bits, shall I stick with a custom bolt for the pulley or look into drilled? After reliability really.

I will be keeping the factory EFI as I've got to budget welding work etc. So I'm after making it plug an play (which I know it's not so simple).

I've read up plenty of forums but if I can get these answered it'll be a massive help

1. Yes - Machine a circular piece of aluminium to fit where the distributor was, make sure it's a precise fit and use lots of sealant. There are two threaded holes the distributor uses. Use these.

2. Do they line up?