Putting a PD130 in a GTi

BR4DLEYx

Welcome to club lupo! :)

er, it's not as easy a job to swap over as you think. @Skezza is right. It'd be much much easier to fix the original than do a very time consuming engineering job. It'll take about 1200h of work to do a conversion. Not to mention the cost of another decent used Lupo.

The head didn't come off due to overheating so I wouldn't say so but you should learn to use a steel ruler to check such things.

What makes you think the head has gone?

Is it doing things?

2 hours ago, Rich said:

The head didn't come off due to overheating so I wouldn't say so but you should learn to use a steel ruler to check such things.

What makes you think the head has gone?

Is it doing things?

I wouldn’t be completing the work a garage would be doing it for me, also my car overheated to the point of the coolant bottle exploding! So that gave me the main indication I’ve tested the head and is leaking so took it to a garage to get it tested properly and the same answer he thinks it’s been warped unfortunately cars mint I’m around £6k into it so no way I’m giving up over a head 

Was there oil in it when you switched off? What condition is the old oil in?

What condition are the 'O' ring seals on the water flanges on the head? If they are still rubbery and relatively pliable, the head didn't get that hot- meaning something else is going on.

Did it seize? How hot did the ali pistons get? Are the bores glazed?

An engine can take up to about 150c before any serious damage starts going on (expansion problems like valve guides dropping out- that kind of thing).

If you think the head has warped, check for cracks. It's just an anealed ali casting after all. I've seen engines running dry, to the point where the pistons have begun to melt but still the head hadn't warped.

2 hours ago, mk2 said:

Was there oil in it when you switched off? What condition is the old oil in?

What condition are the 'O' ring seals on the water flanges on the head? If they are still rubbery and relatively pliable, the head didn't get that hot- meaning something else is going on.

Did it seize? How hot did the ali pistons get? Are the bores glazed?

An engine can take up to about 150c before any serious damage starts going on (expansion problems like valve guides dropping out- that kind of thing).

If you think the head has warped, check for cracks. It's just an anealed ali casting after all. I've seen engines running dry, to the point where the pistons have begun to melt but still the head hadn't warped.

I’ll ask the garage as they did the checks, by the sounds of it they have equipment to test it so should have the report I’ll ask for it today 

unless there is other damage, I would be surprised if the head cant be skimmed.

You need to get the garage to work out the cause of the over heating, sediment in rad is a good one in cars this age, thermostat not opening, fan thermo-switch faulty are all possible reasons