Bonnet release

Jacamo97

Anyone know how difficult it would be to replace the mechanism for the bonnet release on a Lupo GTi. Specifically, the interior section? Part of mine broke and has worn down so a new lever still doesn't work. Kinda annoying when you need a pair of pliers or mole grips whenever you need to pop the bonnet! 

Edited by Jacamo97

From memory, the back bit is the same as a mk4. It's the little plastic pin bit that usually snaps. Then you can use the adjustable cable clamp, lever and clip from a lupo. I need to do this on one of mine too... I should post a how-to. This is so so common.

10 minutes ago, mk2 said:

From memory, the back bit is the same as a mk4. It's the little plastic pin bit that usually snaps. Then you can use the adjustable cable clamp, lever and clip from a lupo. I need to do this on one of mine too... I should post a how-to. This is so so common.

A how to on this would be great!

The little black pin thing has snapped, which I didn't realise till I bought a new lever. 

I did mine last summer - if you can press gang someone with small hands and use a good bright torch to shine down from inside the scuttle it helps them locate the cable a lot easier. Think they were reasonably priced from TPS - Yes - very similar to Mk4, main difference, apart form length is no spring in the joiner.

Seem to recall somewhere there is a thread with a description saying attach the new cable to old and pull through - afraid I found this to BS - I cant remember the exact details of why, but I found it impossible to do that. Think it has wider grommet at one end, meaning you couldn't pull the old cable through the bulkhead into the cabin or even the other way, maybe the design changed.

Its wiper arms off, scuttle panels off, BTW those panel screws like to escape - its also a very good time to clean out the leaves and replace the cabin filter  - make sure you are happy with the cable lengths before clipping the joiner section into the inner wing, the clips don't like being removed and don't clip back in as good as before. The difference is very satisfying, bonnet now pops properly.

• 2 months later...

Got round to fitting the new lever last weekend, dead easy to do!

Unfortunately, the bonnet still doesn't release... Not without pulling the cable directly with a pair of mole grips and a lot of force!

Looked at the actual bonnet release mechanism, cleaned it up, lubed it up and it seems to move a lot smoother than before but still doesn't release without a lot of force. If I tried to release the bonnet with the plastic lever and handle it'd easily snap again before opening the bonnet.

On 2/19/2019 at 8:28 PM, LR5V said:

My lever was fine - the cable was goosed. Do you know if your lever is broken?

Indeed the lever was snapped, but I'm thinking now that it snapped because the cable is screwed! it seems to move to some degree, but I'm not sure how much movement there is suppose to be. 

Any other ideas on what the cable seems to difficult to pull?

I actually removed the lock mechanism off the Lupo, did a full brake clean to get rid of the caked on copper grease and re-grease with regular grease, since then it has been very easy to open and the bonnet properly pops up.

The cable is in 2 parts with a joint at the inner wing, you can split the cable here and see what half has resistance  - I would try spraying some lube inside the  cable cover. if that doesn't work it seems to be heading towards new cable. Have to say mine had no visible faults or  recall any friction, maybe they just stretch?? 

You could try replacing one half at a time... but suspect you are probably cheesed off with this and it may just be better to replace the whole thing