Rear windscreen seal

Jacamo97

Anyone had any issues with the rear windscreen seal leaking?
Was washing my car yesterday, and when I was drying it off and there was water over one side of the parcel shelf.
Opened the boot and checked the boot seal, but this seemed fine. No splits or perishing, so all I can assume is the window seal itself!

Anyone know how much this would cost? Or if there are any easier ways to deal with this?

Could do with testing things by opening the boot and holding it horizontal while pouring water onto different areas and see if anything comes through. As yesterday there was just water drops all over the place.

I'll take a look again after work later and see if I can see anything on the seal now that it should be dry, but I'm pretty sure it seamed fine.

5 minutes ago, kt_lou_gti said:

If you've a GTI try the spoiler and its mounting bolts. Took a while to figure out my leak until I stripped it and rebuilt it also clear siliconed all the spoiler to body points. Hasn't leaked since.

That's a good point, my spoiler isn't in great nic, it's bubbled pretty bad... and the break light is swimming. I'll have to take a better look now everything is dry.

The bolts have a sleeve around them, they're pennies from the dealer; mine were split and letting water through into tailgate and then leaking out of drain holes into boot. Put a new brake light in as well, the seals ok but watch how its assembled, I had some badly assembled fixing washers that had been put between the light and the spoiler which caused a gap between the seal and spoiler and allowed water into light. The washers are meant to be under the fixing nuts - they're small watch you don't loose them :)