VW Lupo 1.4 TDi Silver

clyall90

Make: Volkswagen

Model: Lupo 

MOT: No - last done in October 2017

TAX: £30 per year

Engine size: 1.4 TDi

Fuel type: Diesel

Description including modifications: Aftermarket DAB Radio and Parrot Handsfree Kit with DAB aerial. Towbar with full electric hook up

Vehicle description: Car was Cat D written off in August 2017 due to the cost to repair the slight damage to the front wing shown in pics. Cambelt was changed at 80,000 miles as recommended. The vehicle passed MOT following the accident car runs fine, however, the battery is currently flat. Only replacing as bought a project VW mk3 Vento which I now use a daily instead. 

Mileage:135738

Price: £800 Ono 

20190217_124829.jpg

20190217_123346.jpg

Edited by clyall90

Flat battery, new wing, cat D and 136k with a belt needing doing again, clutch?, suspension work done etc.

No offence as it looks a nice Lupo but you are barking mad at £1300.

I also wouldn't swap it for a vento unless it was a vr6, even the 2.0 has no gains over the TDI if you remapped it.

Saying that you probably have an AHU TDI now with awful seats, bad arches and rusty front wings.

There is probably holes under the rear carpet where the build plugs once used to be as well.

Edited by Rich

@Rich that's fine if I'm barking I'm sorry, i was unaware of where this should sit. Belt was changed at 80,000 miles and the clutch is fine. 

I'm willing to take offers on the vehicle, where would you recommend the price point was?

Edited by clyall90

@rich you really think as low as 600 surely the fact that 1.4 Tdi's are getting rarer has some impact. The damage is minor and all the car needs is a Mot and its a runner. I was using as a daily so I know it runs well. Vento picture 

I have no opinion on a price, but the fact it's a Cat D really does slam the value significantly. I suspect if it was involved in an accident and insurer may only be willing to give 500-600 for precisely this reason. I had a Mazda Demio at one point, absolute garbage, but was just to get me from A-B. Written off after someone ran into me. Was a Cat N, which is the lowest category. However the insurance value after this write-off was....... £16!

I'm aware that this is better than that, but trust me, insurance companies are ruthless.

Without the MOT you are selling to a very small % of the car buying public.

It's probably £500 without, £750 with.

The emissions stuff just cover / deface the number on the spec plate on the bulkhead and they have to test it at the higher value.

Edited by Sausage

Yeah the 0.7 plated specification for max permitted emissions is very low. My silver SDI passed at 0.2 but my other SDI passed at 2.4 just under the 'standard' 2.5 limit. I have no idea what the numbers mean relating to real world.

Curiously, the MOT inspector told me that 0.2 is actually below the limit for the newest diesel cars, so is well within the new ULEZ for London. But because it's officially an old car, I still will not be allowed to drive it in London. Mad or what?!

Apparently to get the numbers down again I'll need a new cat if it creeps above 2.5.

Spec plate is 0.8 on tdi. i blanked it off so they tested it to higher value as i just couldnt be arsed with having it struggle. Passed at 0.93 probably because he didnt have to rev the nuts off it several times to get it to pass.

Any idea what the numbers actually mean in relation to the real world? Looked it up and none of it makes any sense- and I thought I know about this stuff!

Something like micrograms per km of solid carbon soot.... but how the hell can you calculate per kilometre when the car is stationary and the tester's revving the nuts off it??! An engine produces pollution per second, but if it's revving more, each rev will produce more stuff. And then if it's revving at the same RPM but working harder (like foot to floor scenario), it'll chuck out even more.....??? Anyone?

Not sure, cant find anything definite about what 3.0M-1 means, but it is smoke opacity and particulate matter and it might just be a that the m-1 part just means per meter.so xxxppm per meter? but that doesnt make much sense either as it would be per M3

OK found it: Smoke Density (Km-1) - (also known as “Light Extinction Coefficient” and “Light Absorption Coefficient”) A fundamental means of quantifying the ability of a smoke plume or smoke containing gas sample to obscure light. By convention, smoke density is expressed on a per meter basis (m-1). The smoke density is a function of the number of smoke particles per unit gas volume, the size distribution of the smoke particles, and the light absorption and scattering properties of the particles. In the absence of blue or white smoke, the size distribution and the light absorption/scattering properties are similar for all diesel exhaust gas samples and the smoke density is primarily a function of the smoke particle density.

Edited by Sausage
  • Thanks 1

Ah, ok, i think that makes sense, but generates lots more questions. So my guess is that it's like shining a laser beam of given brightness and colour through a sample of gas, over a given distance. Firstly through clear air to set the level, then over the same distance through the smoke. The smokier the sample, the lower the received brightness of laser light seen by the light meter. 

Thanks for the info. Looked but didn't find what you did!

And to my questions...

what colour light is used? Are different colour lights used to determine particle size (like shining white light through drops of milk in a solution of water removes green and blue light).

do they measure reflected light to determine the type of particles emitted?

how is the mot test gear kept in calibration? Do they change the filter or light window every 10 tests or something? With my old Sun gas analyser, you have to change the filters regularly, then get the thing recalibrated every 18 months. And chnage the carbon monoxide sensor.

how is the smoke level set? Do they have "standard" smoke to test the measuring equipment...

could you trick the detector?

if you added a small amount of unleaded petrol to the diesel, just for the mot, could you lower the numbers (i've often noticed that when people accidentally turn up after accidentally fuelling their diesel car with petrol, the dregs of petrol definitely reduce the smoky smell)?

Found the answer. kerosene. Much lower emissions without anyone knowing that you're running on that instead of diesel :) but 15% lower power, so not good for regular running.