Does this sound like pedal box failure? If so, recommendations North West England?

Lupo Tom Lupo

Hiya all,

Second time posting here, first time was a peculiar issue which thankfully only affects the car should you be doing something you'd never normally do (rev'ing the crap out of the engine whilst moving with the clutch in).

Anyhoo, the issue this time is:

Clutch pedal lower than brake pedal at all times, notchy gear changes, 5th to 3rd gear change won't go so you have to go 5th to 4th to 3rd for it to go in. First can be particularly hard to get into and reverse usually crunches when selected.

Based on the pedal box thread, it seems I may have a pedal box issue. I thought I would post my specific symptoms rather than have wasted money on what could perhaps be a clutch problem (any way to test that)? Also if it is pedal box, does anyone have any recommendations for where to get the job done (North-West England) or what is the best strategy for cost-effectiveness? I.E use someone who does these repairs all the time? Buy a new more robust pedal box? Buy a used one?

In fact there was someone in the thread offering a comprehensive repair service at an excellent price a few years ago as described:

"hi :wave:

i run a company called clutch and gearbox in wolverhampton and we keep the pedal box kits in stock

we can supply and fit a new modified pedal box,new shear bolts and brake cylinder locking clip for 120 pounds all in

we offer a while you wait service if neccesary and the job takes around 2 hrs to complete

for anymore info/advice please call 07854 07854 9 or http://www.clutchandgearbox.webs.com

thanks for looking"

Unsure if this service is still going but if so it's 85 miles there and 85 miles back and if it'll alleviate my problem it's worth the day-trip.

Let me know your thoughts and experiences please folks, thank you :)

Edited by Lupo Tom Lupo

17 minutes ago, Lupo Tom Lupo said:

Chorley (near Preston)

Not as far as I'm aware no, but the pedal feels stiffer than I believe it should feel (feels as stiff as my 4 paddle hill-climb clutch I have in my other car)

Dipping the clutch usually sounds squeaky as the seam weld begins to tear. Might not be the same for everyone.

1 hour ago, Skezza said:

Dipping the clutch usually sounds squeaky as the seam weld begins to tear. Might not be the same for everyone.

No squeak no. However, if it's the weld(s) on the pedalbox, doesn't that mean trying to change gear with the engine off should be just as hard as when the engine is running? Something to test perhaps?

15 minutes ago, Lupo Tom Lupo said:

No squeak no. However, if it's the weld(s) on the pedalbox, doesn't that mean trying to change gear with the engine off should be just as hard as when the engine is running? Something to test perhaps?

I had no actual difficulty changing gear. It just developed a squeak. I fitted a new pedalbox rather than try weld it.

2 hours ago, Rich said:

If it is the pedal box I will meet you and do it in a car park if you motivate.

That's a fair effort. How quickly can you do it? Took me a few hours. Easier on the Polo 9N2 isn't it, just crawl into the floor space and weld up.

3 hours ago, Rich said:

Fastest time is forty one minutes.

No way. Maybe 1 1/2h...

All the plastic trim out.

driver's seat out. Pillow.

detach pedals.

drill out bolts.

vacuum out swarf

replace box

reattach pedals and clips.

replace plastics

refit seat

adjust clutch cable

brief test drive....

readjust as needed.

23 hours ago, Skezza said:

I had no actual difficulty changing gear. It just developed a squeak. I fitted a new pedalbox rather than try weld it.

Funny actually, driving again I paid attention for a 'squeak' it actually does sound like a squeak / creak quite badly when it gets close to the floor. Also the biting point is very low.

Just to reiterate, symptoms as follows:

- Reverse always clunks badly into reverse, like a really loud clunk that is jarring
- Hard to change gears
- No sign of clutch slippage, puts power down beautifully
- Creak / squeaky pedal, quite loud and happens between pushing the clutch pedal between half and 3/4 way down to the floor

The last thing I want is to have someone sort the pedal-box for it to turn out to be okay.

8 hours ago, Rich said:

If it is the pedal box I will meet you and do it in a car park if you motivate.

How much incentivisation do you require and would you meet half way? Think it's 80 miles from here to Durham so 40 miles'ish for each of us would be swell.

Is the fix you offer temporary and will only last a couple of years or will it be good for another 5-10 years?

Cheers :)

For the sake of an extra hour's travelling, I'd take it to Rich's workshop just in case there is anything else that hasn't been spotted. Then at least everything would be available ready to go. Just in case... also means Rich will be more relaxed doing the work with no time pressure stress while you go off and have a coffee somewhere :)

There is nowhere down the unit for a coffee.

Recently the food shed reopened 8-2 although I have never been.

Seriously though, I don't need the unit for such an easy job.

It's the synchros that get knackered. Once the pedal box has been fixed, i strongly suggest you flush then renew the gearbox oil. There'll be lots of yellow metal floating around in there (jamming up bearings).

Hi, I don't mean to jump in on this but my clutch squeaks like sh!t when I depress it.. I need to get mine done too. I've tried to call those guys in Wolverhampton multiple times over the last couple of weeks and they just don't answer!! I've even emailed them from their website but no response.

Anyway I'm from NW too in east manchester and I cba doing it myself, happy to travel in tandem if you're willing Rich?

Ta 

On 2/16/2019 at 10:00 PM, Dizzy_PD said:

Hi, I don't mean to jump in on this but my clutch squeaks like sh!t when I depress it.. I need to get mine done too. I've tried to call those guys in Wolverhampton multiple times over the last couple of weeks and they just don't answer!! I've even emailed them from their website but no response.

Anyway I'm from NW too in east manchester and I cba doing it myself, happy to travel in tandem if you're willing Rich?

Ta 

Aren't you a pd?