New member Lupo GTI owner

Mostyn GTI

Where in South Wales are you? I am in Cardiff and on my 3rd GTI,  having bought the first one in 2012. Once I sell one its only a matter of months before I am missing it so much I have to begin the hunt for another. 

On 2/8/2019 at 8:52 AM, lupogtiboy said:

I paid £10k for mine, was a year old and just 7.2k miles on the clock, now has 173k on the clock and I still love it!

Please tell us at what age/mileage have you had to replace/repair things i.e. exhaust,engine,gearbox,clutch.

I had the engine rebuilt at 118k due to it drinking oil like it was going out of fashion. I changed a few other bits first, did valve stem oil seals and breather system, they didn't fix it so took the plunge. Turned out the oil control ring on cylinder 3 had died, so had the block re-honed, new rings all round, thermostat housing as it was leaking, cambelt and clutch.

My gearbox was getting noisy so I bought Casper GTI's gearbox when he was breaking his GTI and had it rebuilt by Road and Race Transmissions. My original gearbox still changed gears fine, was just getting noisy, I think the 2 bearings in the end of the case were on their way out, so I will get that rebuilt one day so I have a good spare.

Exhaust didn't need changing but I got a good price on the Janspeed cat-back so I bought it. Mines the earlier version with the smaller tailpipes so looks more factory. I love the noise it makes, not too loud but you know its there!

Touchwood, I've never changed ANY wheel bearings at all, still on OE rear beam bushes (I have poly bushes to change one day!), arb bushes on the front are still original ones. Stuff like top mounts I've changed when doing coilovers, cambelts I've lost count how many I've had done! I always get mine done at 40k or 4 years regardless. It has full dealer service history (as I work for a dealer it's dirty cheap to get the book stamped!) and I have 3 service history books and I've kept 95% of all the receipts for parts I've bought for her over the years.

Think that about covers it!

On 2/11/2019 at 9:09 AM, lupogtiboy said:

I had the engine rebuilt at 118k due to it drinking oil like it was going out of fashion. I changed a few other bits first, did valve stem oil seals and breather system, they didn't fix it so took the plunge. Turned out the oil control ring on cylinder 3 had died, so had the block re-honed, new rings all round, thermostat housing as it was leaking, cambelt and clutch.

My gearbox was getting noisy so I bought Casper GTI's gearbox when he was breaking his GTI and had it rebuilt by Road and Race Transmissions. My original gearbox still changed gears fine, was just getting noisy, I think the 2 bearings in the end of the case were on their way out, so I will get that rebuilt one day so I have a good spare.

Exhaust didn't need changing but I got a good price on the Janspeed cat-back so I bought it. Mines the earlier version with the smaller tailpipes so looks more factory. I love the noise it makes, not too loud but you know its there!

Touchwood, I've never changed ANY wheel bearings at all, still on OE rear beam bushes (I have poly bushes to change one day!), arb bushes on the front are still original ones. Stuff like top mounts I've changed when doing coilovers, cambelts I've lost count how many I've had done! I always get mine done at 40k or 4 years regardless. It has full dealer service history (as I work for a dealer it's dirty cheap to get the book stamped!) and I have 3 service history books and I've kept 95% of all the receipts for parts I've bought for her over the years.

Think that about covers it!

Thanks keep up the good work.