Vegetable Oil

weslangdon

Seriously, our injectors don't like the glycerols... old style injectors no problem. The problem is the glycerols hydrogenate and then go hard like plastic inside the nozzles. If you can stop the engine on diesel, but run on SVO that's fine. No veggie oil sitting in a hot injector getting gently poached, then cooling down slowly. But blend with kerosene does work, but then you need to add some 2 stroke oil to get the lubricity numbers back up or the pump injector cam rollers will wear.

2 hours ago, mk2 said:

Seriously, our injectors don't like the glycerols... old style injectors no problem. The problem is the glycerols hydrogenate and then go hard like plastic inside the nozzles. If you can stop the engine on diesel, but run on SVO that's fine. No veggie oil sitting in a hot injector getting gently poached, then cooling down slowly. But blend with kerosene does work, but then you need to add some 2 stroke oil to get the lubricity numbers back up or the pump injector cam rollers will wear.

If you're willing to go the whole hog with that, you could twin tank. It's not even that hard. Seen it done on a Polo with a small external diesel tank in the boot. Very clean install really.

However, as I've said many times, I ran my Loop sdi on SVO Veg for a good 70, maybe 80 thousand miles with no ill-effects. Almost all of the time it was 100% pure as well. No diesel whatsoever. I never noticed any drop in performance, or injector problems. Your biggest issue is when it is cold, the veg does get a bit thick and you might find your performance absolutely falls through the floor. Plus you might suffer a bit of oil dilution.... so mix some diesel in just to help out or run on 50/50 veg-diesel over winter months. 

I would occasionally when the tank was almost dry, put some premium diesel in, maybe a quarter tank, mix in some redex and perhaps a splash of petrol and take it for a near death thrashing. I found the engine ran a bit cooler on veg than diesel.

Engine is still running, in someones car....

On 1/25/2019 at 9:07 PM, Rich said:

You had a Lupo for five minutes, how was that 80k?

Stoke isn't that big and Matt arosa isn't that far...

I know you're being facetious, but I'll bite, I owned it from 2012-2016 so not quite 5 mins..... Also, my green Lupo I owned for 3 years before but that was just a 1.0E. I worked about 35-40 miles away from home, and commuted weekdays. Mileage soon ramps up. They weren't so keen on me working from home back then. Plus my ex partner had an extended period off the road due to medical reasons. So that obviously added more. I bought the car with 90k on and sold it with 172k, and obviously one of the main reasons I bought it originally was the possibility of the veg oil, but also the sickeningly high MPG and outrageous reliability. I don't remember how long I ran it on diesel before I switched to veg but it wasn't that long. I would say at most 5k miles. The last 5k miles of ownership, I decided to switch back to diesel, change the fuel filter, and drop the oil so any dilution had been taken care of. By the time I sold it, it was just as responsive as the day I bought it and running like an absolute dream. It's a shame that it was broken for parts, but ultimately, those pre-Y reg SDI's are kind of worthless, and he will have made a lot more selling the gearbox which I'd taken good care of and the engine.

Aside from the lack of general performance, SDI's are great cars. I do have a soft spot for them. The only problem I had (except the inevitable pedal box issue) was the stupid throttle lever thing. It seems to straighten out then you put your throttle to the floor and it's only reading about 70%???? Annoying as. Fixed that about 10k miles before sale and it felt like new.

As much as I like my A4...... there's something truly human about the Lupo SDI. Perfect.... in all its imperfections.

Yeah I wouldnt put veg in a TDI unless at very low mix at which point it isnt worth doing unless you have free clean WVO. Kero quickly looks tempting and works in TDI at sensible mix.

Edited by Sausage
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skezza said:

As much as I like my A4...... there's something truly human about the Lupo SDI. Perfect.... in all its imperfections.

The SDI does the bare minimum a car needs to do. It gets you from A-B with minimum fuss, very very cheaply and in 'relative' comfort. And will keep going and going and going..... I have two.

• Like 1