Drivers side Electric Window Switch Unit

Hey

So it seems looking this is a common problem with these cars and my drivers unit is getting very temperamental with working. The locking system still work its just the window switches for both passenger and driver.

So I have had a look online and a new unit it rather expensive, however you run the risk of a second-hand unit only lasting a week or so after purchase.

Now I have seen on eBay that you can purchase just the switches for £5 each, is this all that is wrong and can these be easily replaced? Or is it worth buying a complete new unit?

Pictures added for illustration purposes.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Skezz, isn't there an anti finger trap system with the leccy windows on Lupos? On other vdubs of that era, there are anti finger trap sensors that sense the window over current and then back off if being closed. It could be the current sensor playing games? I've not played with the window control modules on Lupos so not sure...

27 minutes ago, mk2 said:

Skezz, isn't there an anti finger trap system with the leccy windows on Lupos? On other vdubs of that era, there are anti finger trap sensors that sense the window over current and then back off if being closed. It could be the current sensor playing games? I've not played with the window control modules on Lupos so not sure...

It's more than likely the switches are goosed. The originals are a really awful design (I've previously done a post on here explaining why) which is why I implore people not to buy second hand ones. I was able to source the revised part a few years ago at a discounted price and I sold many on here, but my contact in Europe has gone quiet so I don't know if he's still able to get them. I can always pop him a message and find out. You can also buy the revised part direct from VW still but they're like £25+VAT nowadays. Really not sure they're worth that, when you can get a cheapie off eBay for a fiver. 

I suspect the 5 quid ones on eBay are just Chinese clones of the originals. Nothing wrong with that, they'll work, it's just a bad design.... try to avoid getting them wet (I know, not always possible).

Is there a way to isolate if it's the convenience centre, the leccy window mech/contoller or switches? I always used the hold the key in the door lock in the open door position, till all the windows start going down. Not sure if the same on Lupos. Then you know if the window mech and convenience centre is ok....?

Edited by mk2
Typo

5 hours ago, mk2 said:

Is there a way to isolate if it's the convenience centre, the leecy window mech/contoller or switches? I always used the hold the key in the door lock in the open door position, till all the windows start going down. Not sure if the same on Lupos. Then you know if the window mech and convenience centre is ok....?

Yes