Help!

Izzyproctor

Problem is affordable = harsher ride. Just one of those things and the closer you get to affordable, the worse the ride usually gets. I personally can't be doing with stuff like TA Technix which are the uber cheap stuff, so if you can find the cash for V1's (as recommended above) that'd be your best option. I think Bilstein do a set for about £500 which are supposed to be alright as well. Just keep away from stuff like £50 per corner stuff.... I rarely argue "you get what you pay for" but when it comes to coilovers, there's 100% a direct correlation between price and quality.

14 minutes ago, Izzyproctor said:

Thanks again guys! And I never hear good things about springs, I’m wanting to set it to the height I desire too which I can’t do with springs

Nothing wrong with springs. Just a cheap way of lowering your car a bit. However if adjustment is that important to you and considering you're on a budget, coilies are the only way you can go. What was up with your previous 'cheap/cheerful' coilies? Just curious. If I was to have a bet..... they seized/rusted or the seals went pop far too quickly?

I suspect what you heard is either scene logic or prejudiced by the fact cutting springs used to be an actual thing 25 years ago. People associate lowering springs with guys who used to hacksaw their XR3i springs. Actual lowering springs are just another way of lowering your car and they're a pretty good one to be fair. They perhaps slightly accelerate the speed in-which your shock absorbers wear out, but I doubt it's by much....and shocks are cheap anyway..... plus dumping your car isn't particularly good for coilovers either. So that is a shared issue. I bet the ride would be better with lowering springs as well..... Spring cutting? Nah. Ride would be awful.

Was going to say springs, or else shocks and springs designed to be lower, Koni and eibach pros on mine not sure of the drop but any lower and you run into rubbing and getting over speed bumps becomes a real chore. The ride has been excellent.

It does depend how low you want to go, but you end up ruining driveshafts, wheel bearings, gearboxes beyond a certain point. (my red TDI I bought being a case in point but that was running silly camber as well.)

If you want a better ride put higher profile tyres on it with light weight wheels, cheap coilies will be fine then as you give them less work to do.

The last coilovers went pop and completely destroyed the drive shaft but now you’ve talked about the pros of springs you might be convincing me, not wanting to go silly low as I’m in an area which is covered in huge speed bumps so what would the recommended spring be 30mm?