Millers Nanodrive.. over kill?

musho007

If you change your oil every week or 3000 miles, any cheap stuff will do. Oil type is important when you do lots of start stop journeys or leave it for 20,000 miles before a change...

Edited by mk2
  • Like 1

I run the fuchs semi synth 10W40 in my diesels and fully synth 5W30 in my petrol/lpg cars. Opie oil bulk special deals every few years. A bit of a waste really as i change about every 7k. Almost as clean coming out as it goes in.

If you do your oil changes regularly enough, then you can use the cheapest synthetic nonsense, so long as it meets the correct VW specification. In my SDI, I used Triple QX 5w40 from EuroCarParts (CarParts4Less). You could get 5L for about £12 fairly regularly and it's an open secret that it's just rebadged Shell 5w40 anyway. Did over 90k on that stuff and the oil used to come out very clean (comparatively) for a diesel.

As for the viscosity, again, it's all about preference and your interval, but when I was doing 2 oil changes a year (due to mileage), I used 10w40 in the summer and 5w40 in the winter. I don't do the mileage anymore, so I use 5w40 all year round.

2 hours ago, mk2 said:

Hey Skezz, there's a nice moss green SDI 'S' on gumtree at the mo. Nearer to you than me....

The one in Sandwell? Yeah, I saw it. It's probably the right price if it's been cared for....

Big if...... draw your own conclusions.