SDi Daily fantasia with added turbo

battlebus

3 hours ago, Sausage said:

It must use the 085 stud pattern though as people put wrong 085s in their SDIs dont they?

How?

Starter motor is in different place.

Yeah the bellhousing pattern is the same as quite a few dubs, except they've tilted it. The 1.9 gearboxes will bolt straight on, but i have a feeling that the length of the lupo 085 box is about 30mm shorter. Meaning it might foul the crash side member.

leave the 085 as is, just tune for power not torque. And rebuild the box every 30k or so. And use really good hypoid bevel oil. I think the limit is 30mg of diesel per stroke for max torque. Once the torque starts dropping, add more fuel. Hey, just thought.... you might be able to achieve the holy grail of a dead flat torque curve. So you get to say 2k rpm and hold the pedal to the floor and the accelaration rate will be constant. Cool. Car will be sh!t off a shovel.

• Like 1

There was a 1.9 SDI lupo for sale that ended up getting broken for bits, he had 1.9 caddy engine and pretty sure it was the box too and the ratios were short (because wheel size). But quite possible for me to be misremembering that. So the point is I think he got a different box in it.

Thinking I might drag the Lupo up to sandown park tomorrow, gonna go up for a mooch about and pick up a few bits but might be the ideal shakedown for a longer journey. Will see how I feel in the morning and whether I can be arsed to dig it out from the drive full. 😁

• 4 weeks later...

Sitrep, I have a cable shifter and hydro pedal box on the way from a breaker so things are gonna get choppy soon. I have a TDi box from a golf, I think, point is it will fit a much bigger clutch and flywheel setup so its gonna get jammed in by my friend and diesel whizz Nath at Resto Classics while I am away working for a week in may. Its a bit of a trial but the theory is all lining up and worst case the casing is 30mm bigger so with a bit of fab and some "adjustment" this should see the torque back up. Its fun as it is but clutch is being a real wimp now and I have come this far so......😁 

Be interesting to see how much material you need to remove. Although, you might get away with it if you go under the LHS crash member. But, if everything shifts to the left, you'll be messing with half shafts. I'll be interested in what the final solution ends up being :)

Not sure where the output flanges end up but driveshafts can be made to fit the gap and they are only short. would rather keep track the same and make the thing fit.

• 3 weeks later...

Its up on the ramp, AHU single mass and clutch on its way. I will try and update this thread with tech info etc and pictures.

• 3 months later...

Ok so this didn't fly. the box was miles off as the ski tilts forward and most vw still leans back meaning although the box bolts on, the output flange was up by the battery tray . 

sooooooo, fitted a lark speed stage 3 paddle clutch and its now done 800 miles on the 'reduce slip' map. will crank it back up on the torque and see what we get.

8733JXTWSy8F7SlsAW2g.jpg

also fitted some golf seats for good measure and they were hanging around looking for a ride lol

483983D2-F6DE-498B-8A80-874751FE07CD.jpg

I've never thought much of paddle clutches. Bit like brake discs with holes or slots in. You actually end up with less friction contact surface.

My gut feeling is that you'll need the pressure plate (clutch system) from something much more torquey. Dunno what though. And a bigger/stronger box too.

1 hour ago, mk2 said:

I've never thought much of paddle clutches. Bit like brake discs with holes or slots in. You actually end up with less friction contact surface.

My gut feeling is that you'll need the pressure plate (clutch system) from something much more torquey. Dunno what though. And a bigger/stronger box too.

I was dubious but its a great clutch. Feel is nice and light, its not too juddery and its not slipping, win for me. It came with an uprated spring plate too and bearing and its been awesome. 

On 3/17/2019 at 8:08 PM, mk2 said:

What nozzles are you running? I've messed with some 0.190mm (bigger than 0.170 stock) but didn't make a noticable difference other than lots more smoke. Had more fuel, but needs more air. Are you running stock 5 hole injectors? You can get 7 hole ones from the US. I'd love to know how they make such small holes.

Curious that the idle is smoother with bigger nozzles. Did you inject later, like at +2 TDC?

Been following your posts with interest chap with regards to poking a finger into Sdi tuning. 

Did you ever get to the bottom of a useable injector? 

Did you ever change inlet tract? PD130 inlet fannymold looks very useable. 

12 hours ago, mk2 said:

Which box/flywheel combo are you running?

085 box with a new oe dual mass setup. Box was checked and oil refreshed but I am prepared to send it to repair as and when 

10 hours ago, ELVIS said:

Been following your posts with interest chap with regards to poking a finger into Sdi tuning. 

Did you ever get to the bottom of a useable injector? 

Did you ever change inlet tract? PD130 inlet fannymold looks very useable. 

Used the bodies and swapped out for bigger nozzles, will check specs later. inlet is a Volvo d5 manifold. Its for the 5 pot engine and the t4 boys use it as they are a direct fit on th 2.5 tdi and have a smoother tract and lower profile. We just cut the end runner off and made it a four then sleeved the end with a silicone reducer to pipework going to an oe intercooler from a Passat under the o/s headlamp

Cheers chap. 

Fitted a Volvo manifold to my MULTIVAN 9 years ago when I did injectors, hybrid turbo etc. 

Was thinking PD130 manifold appears to be easiest for and forget fannymold though. Wanting to keep it NA. 

Then you have a Giles Pump........😱😄

B64B5403-03E5-4D83-86B8-870CC7C2E428.jpeg

9 hours ago, ELVIS said:

Cheers chap. 

Fitted a Volvo manifold to my MULTIVAN 9 years ago when I did injectors, hybrid turbo etc. 

Was thinking PD130 manifold appears to be easiest for and forget fannymold though. Wanting to keep it NA. 

Then you have a Giles Pump........😱😄

B64B5403-03E5-4D83-86B8-870CC7C2E428.jpeg

Clearance is the issue for this manifold, it sits higher near or may touch bonnet. 

Big boys map added tonight and its mad now! :D nozzles and map details are the tuners secret can put you in touch if you need some. I am loving the work, and to paraphrase Ferris "if you have the means I seriously recommend you check them out!!" :D 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/21/2020 at 11:18 AM, AkimJ said:

Hello. Where did you buy this? Can you send me link? (Sorry for my bad English)

Sorry just spotted this, eBay. Still available on there too. 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231539707352

• Like 1

Sdi is still going well on it’s forced induction journey with a daily beating to keep it keen. I have added further comforts to the controls though to spoil it a bit. 

momo team 300mm and a quaife shift knob. Looking for rear disc kit now as the drums are looking tired and stick after a wash so it’s that time. Not servicing the old drums rather upgrade. 

2277C8B5-6A72-4A14-BDC3-499F5DA347FF.jpeg

AD0D1D41-5FCF-40C5-B208-CD738C92F2C4.jpeg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

My fav SDI-t on CL :) Actually I think it's the only one in the UK.

I really need to do this. It's such a sleeper project. 

Also noticed that you have the exact same philips hifi as in two of my SDIs... They are good. 👍🏻

Edited by mk2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

@battlebus I'm interested to hear more about your experience with mapping a turbo into the ECU on your car, as I'm thinking of using a turbocharged 1.7SDi for a project vehicle. 

Also interested to know if you have experience with the 1.9TDi and if you can compare the two, particularly interested to know how 'revvy' the 1.7 is compared to the 1.9, due to it's shorter stroke etc. 

Cheers. 

Edited by davegsm82
English correction