New member owner of around 3 months

QU1N Y

Yes, something interesting, use your imagination and tell me when you want to collect it.

Gilly at veedubs ran a TDI arosa for years and years and I'm pretty sure they will know that the SDI is a 1.7

5 hours ago, Rich said:

Yes, something interesting, use your imagination and tell me when you want to collect it.

Gilly at veedubs ran a TDI arosa for years and years and I'm pretty sure they will know that the SDI is a 1.7

Hopefully I'll be running mine for years. I love it to bits. Still don't know what I have that would be any use.

11 minutes ago, mk2 said:

He wants your old gearbox. I want your old gearbox... :)

Can't do that lol. Going to try that bearing fix with how rare these are.

On 1/18/2019 at 7:56 AM, Rich said:

Does Gilly even still work there? Haven't seen him around the last few times I've been....

VeeDubs used to be class at one point, these days they mostly seem to have modern stuff and what little old stuff they have is way too pricey.

All the dub shows I've been to in the last few years have gone that way... shame really. I think people are just too scared to try their hand at old stuff. Dunno why cos it's so much easier to fix 'em. Rust perhaps? Most rust is fixable.

Dunno really....

I suppose once stuff drops enough in value it all gets pineappled/barried to the point of extinction and then all that's left is scrap?

Just not enough good/unmolested cars left perhaps~ People move on and start 'enhancing' newer cars~full circle.

Nice to see another Lupo owner here! Good to hear you have it on the road again too.

Very sorry to hear about your plans for the paint work, while I am not a big fan of blue cars I am much less a fan of taking a perfectly good car and making it look like it has spent the last 30 years as a butt scratching post for a herd of cows with mange. I am not sure where this latest fad has come from but I wish it would go away. It's just hard on the eyes!

Enjoy your car and I would love to see more details and pictures of that 1.7 liter engine. They don't exist on this side of the pond.

It's a 1.9 block, retro fitted with short stroke crank to displace 1.7L. A very strong, reliable engine. Basically the same unit as in the US/canada fitted to golfs/jettas, 1.9 and with a turbo.

hows your little 'un running in the depths of a canadian winter? I can't imagine it... !

Edited by mk2

Running like a champ! Starting no problem right down to -24 without being plugged in. A bit slow to warm up and clear the windows but certainly no worse than our TDIs. The snow builds up inside the rims then part of it breaks off and the car shakes like a paint mixer but all our cars do that!

Interesting about the 1.7!

Edited by oprn

9 hours ago, oprn said:

The snow builds up inside the rims then part of it breaks off and the car shakes like a paint mixer

Something I'd have never ever thought of.... interesting design problem. Must be a lot of snow build up. A lot!

• 2 weeks later...