New member owner of around 3 months

QU1N Y

Hi there,

New here so I thought I'd introduce myself. 1.7 SDI owner with a few mods. Love my lowpo, but it's developed some gearbox wine, so new box this week.

Glad to have joined and look forward to some good banter.

Dean

Welcome. :)

yeah, don't drive it if it whines. At all. It may just need a £2 part to fix it.... usually the needle roller bearing inside gear 5. Before getting a new box, have it stripped and checked. Strip down takes just 15mins. May still be salvageable at minimum cost (about £150 incl parts and labour), and you'll have a box that is like new. FFV code boxes are hard to find (for SDIs)....

• Like 1

Hi MK2,

Yeah, I've already ordered a gearbox. It should be here tomorrow. It's cost about the same as the repair. Might strip the old box down and try your fix and keep it just in case. The box I've got on the way is ETF

Hi Y2ACP, 

I'll upload some pics tomorrow when it's light. She's low, got retrofit lenses with HID's custom soundsystem. Looking to do much more when funds allow.

ETF has different ratios to FFV, so the engine will rev higher...

Did the old box whine in all gears or just one particular one? If all, it's the pinion shaft bearing that runs into the the diff crown gear. They do go, but that bearing is easy to press out and replace. But if too far gone, the outer bearing starts chattering after which it cant be fixed, as it just sits loose in the casing. Can't be pressed in- loose fit.

Don't dump the old box... and take care stripping it (if you're brave). Rebuilt, it's worth decent cash. Personally I always take my boxes to a local guy who knows this stuff in his sleep. An expert will tell you straight away if it's worth fixing.

The seal and bearing kit is about £90 on line (for a total rebuild).

love the colour!

The strange thing about it is it wines from 40-55 ish. It's definitely transmission based as when you press the clutch in it disappears. It also whines when letting off the accelerator in 1st.

Shame about that box as I rang the seller (breakers in Ipswich) and enquired as to whether it was the one I needed.

I'll have a look into that seal and bearing kit as I'd rather not be reving the tits off it.

Thanks for the kind words on the colour but it won't be like that for long. Going down the patina/rat route

Yeah, deffo the pinion bearing by your description... hopefully the outer race of the bearing is still tight in the casing allowing you to replace it. Once the casing has gone, it's too late to salvage.

Be a shame to rat it. I've never seen an SDI in that colour. Might be rare (worth more).

Just noticed- Lupo in Durham. What is it with Lupos in Durham? There must be thousands running the streets up there!

The guy who had it before me has already attacked the back with a sander, so I thought might as well carry on. Yeah there's a few gti's round here and a few chavvy looking ones as well.

I'll definitely have a look into that bearing and I'll get some more pics up :]

She gets waxed everyone she's washed.

Anyone recommend any particular type of box oil. I seem to remember seeing a post somewhere about a different grade to the standard stuff, but I can find the thread now.

Many thanks in advance

Fully synth ep75w90 is what i use from these guys. 3.1L

https://www.westwayoils.co.uk/

but we have the opie oil rep on here who might be able to give a club discount. They have some good lube.

i'd personally get a new back door fix the arches and swap the fuel lid. The car would instantly be worth a sh!t load more.

what's the inside like? I'm just doing up another SDI right now. Sourced a new drivers seat cover from Germany (passenger side over there). You'd love a Lupo 3L steering wheel. Ok, so i would, but they're rocking horse poo over here and stupid money in Germany.

oh, and I was out today cruising at 80- rev counter reads exactly 3000 at that speed, so you can do gearbox ratio tests. 

Edited by mk2
  • Thanks 1

Ok magic, I'll look into that MK2. I'm not looking to sell it on, I love it to bits. I just want to concentrate on getting it sorted, then when I get bored of the SDI speed I might go down the conversion route when funds allow... But that's a ways away.

Thanks for the reference on the RPM. I'll see what it sits at tomorrow once it's fitted

23 hours ago, mk2 said:

Do the EGR delete and sump fume diversion too. If you want more power and efficiency, you can also gas flow the inlet trumpets. It's on here somewhere...

I'll definitely have a look into that as a bit extra power going up hills wouldn't go a miss.

Gearbox is in and doing 80 @ 3000rpm! 😀 Glad it was the right box.

14 hours ago, Rich said:

I have a spare jazz blue bonnet if you want to make a rust patch on it?

Possibly like. How much?

5 hours ago, Andrew1971 said:

Hi QU1N Y  Welcome to the forum. I like the blue on your lupo. Get all the same colour look even better.

Andrew

I like the rat/patina look. Apologies for ruining the colour.

31 minutes ago, QU1N Y said:

Gearbox is in and doing 80 @ 3000rpm! 😀 Glad it was the right box..

That's really odd... the ratios are completely different. You must have an FFV box....

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/catalog/vw/markt/RDW/modell/LU/year/2005/drive_standart/441/hg_ug/311/subcategory/311030/part_id/3690672/lang/e

don't bin the old box... not just yet anyway.

Edited by mk2

1 hour ago, mk2 said:

That's really odd... the ratios are completely different. You must have an FFV box....

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/catalog/vw/markt/RDW/modell/LU/year/2005/drive_standart/441/hg_ug/311/subcategory/311030/part_id/3690672/lang/e

don't bin the old box... not just yet anyway.

I'm not going to bin the old box. It was hard enough sourcing that one. Probably is the ffv one, just the breakers don't know what's going on. Interestingly, rang veedubs up in Gateshead and they had never heard of a 1.7.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Bring me something cool and it is yours.

That's a fair deal.

Something interesting?