Lupo tdi vs 1.0 common faults

Lupofather

I’ve been looking to buy a 1.0 and know most of the common faults. However with a 1.4tdi are there any different faults I need to be aware.

I was also told that the 1.4tdi doesnt suffer the same peddlebox issue, is that correct ? 

Thanks in advance 

3rd gear synchro seems like a common problem (cant get 3rd gear at all on a cold day for a few minutes until the gearbox warms up on mine). no crunching just cant select it.

Pedal box is different as hydraulic clutch, gearbox is pretty bombproof compared to the weak 085 on 1.0 and 1.4 petrol models. £30 tax is fantastic as is the easy cheap diy remap options for an easy 100+ HP.

3 pot have a chain driven balance shaft that also drives oil pump, the AMF seems quite robust here with many lasting beyond the life of the car 200k+ but listen for obvious noises from that area.

I love my tatty TDI, they are fantastic little cars.

13 hours ago, Sausage said:

3rd gear synchro seems like a common problem (cant get 3rd gear at all on a cold day for a few minutes until the gearbox warms up on mine). no crunching just cant select it.

Pedal box is different as hydraulic clutch, gearbox is pretty bombproof compared to the weak 085 on 1.0 and 1.4 petrol models. £30 tax is fantastic as is the easy cheap diy remap options for an easy 100+ HP.

3 pot have a chain driven balance shaft that also drives oil pump, the AMF seems quite robust here with many lasting beyond the life of the car 200k+ but listen for obvious noises from that area.

I love my tatty TDI, they are fantastic little cars.

Thanks sausage. That’s the info I needed :)

Don't drive it... at all. get it sorted now or it'll cost a lot more later... :) Might just be the synchro clutch cones have become glazed. You still need to strip and rebuild it though. Worth it if you plan on keeping the car.

Na, they fine, just dont try and force it and let it warm up a bit then it is perfectly fine, it is just sychro ring. Mind you i still havent checked oil level in the box 😁

the ****ed box on the red tdi was just the 2 syncho rings when i stripped it down, they are pretty strong box otherwise.

Edited by Sausage