What’s wrong with a fox ?

Lupofather

Hi guys just wondering if you can shed some light on why Vw fox was never as popular as the lupo. 

Need to get my son a first car. I’m really looking at the lupo but then came across the fox. They just don’t seem to be as popular so was wondering why. Is it poor build quality and issues or just a desirable factor ?

Not heard anything negative, to me they are not the most attractive of VW  - look bloated + with the skinny wheels they seem out of proportion... but for a first car they always have a small engine and there is not hot model, I assume unpopular with the yoof of today  - probably better for insurance

The Lupo was designed by a small split team from the Polo group to turn a miniature concept car into production (allegedly). The Fox is a small economy car, originally designed for the S American market, with lots of Brazilian tax incentives to get people working.

so my take on it, is, yes, they're both vdubs, but one was (apparently) built for the love of proving a concept is possible by an enthusiastic team, whereas the other was built to keep people off the streets. What would you pick? The difference in build quality is obvious, but the tech on Lupo is a lot older. The fox is a newer generation vdub just like @Rich suggests. Lupo is more like a Mk2 golf.

7 hours ago, LR5V said:

Not heard anything negative, to me they are not the most attractive of VW  - look bloated + with the skinny wheels they seem out of proportion... but for a first car they always have a small engine and there is not hot model, I assume unpopular with the yoof of today  - probably better for insurance

Your right regarding the youth of today,

my son really isn’t keen on the car :)

Edited by Lupofather

14 minutes ago, mk2 said:

The Lupo was designed by a small split team from the Polo group to turn a miniature concept car into production (allegedly). The Fox is a small economy car, originally designed for the S American market, with lots of Brazilian tax incentives to get people working.

so my take on it, is, yes, they're both vdubs, but one was (apparently) built for the love of proving a concept is possible by an enthusiastic team, whereas the other was built to keep people off the streets. What would you pick? The difference in build quality is obvious, but the tech on Lupo is a lot older. The fox is a newer generation vdub just like @Rich suggests. Lupo is more like a Mk2 golf.

Now this would make a lot of sense why there is so much live for the lupo 

1 hour ago, Rich said:

I drove a MK4 variant earlier and it was fun.

Which bit was fun? Cornering? Nah. Nimble? Nah. Flooring it? Nah. Watching the leccy systems go nuts? Yup, that was the fun bit... :)

I had started typing in a list of everything that has had to be fixed on my mk4 over the last 7 years. Then gave up as i got bored. Windows/locks/leaks were things I hadn't thought of, but also included. Probably about 50 different faults. I don't know why i keep the damn thing.

The Fox is a best forgotten VW, doesn't look like a VW imo, ugly piece of crap built for a market where they can get away with cheapness. Window regulators and motors commonly fail too and even VW get the parts on ETKA listed the wrong way around so they are always hassle. I also nearly died in one, so maybe I'm slightly put off by that.

Yeah, I have been having similar thoughts. But I need at least one economical/cheap car with 4 doors that I can use on long journeys and park in supermarket car parks. A red GTi would be nice. 

I presently have another leak in my mk4. Another.... and can't find it. I wonder if there's a list of mk4 leak locations. Will have to go on the mk4 forum. Boring lot.

Edited by mk2