Gti Parts still sought

davy26

On 1/6/2019 at 4:50 PM, Y2ACP said:

Looking good,what's wrong with your spoiler?

Thanks for the comment.

Paint is really (really!) badly crazed.  Good painters are of the view that a repaint will not last long.

Regards.

David.

smlDSC_0013_00013.jpg

On 1/6/2019 at 4:50 PM, Y2ACP said:

Looking good,what's wrong with your spoiler?

Thanks for the comments gents.  If I haven't found another by Spring I've been intending to try a very thorough strip/flat and repaint.  I looked into wrapping, but a 3M distributor was of the view that the material is not 'thick' enough, ( its only 110 microns) to work on a surface like this where the cracking/pitting is so relatively deep. 

I think some of it is to do with the material the spoiler is made from, it doesn't like being baked and is supposed to be left to dry naturally. Mine was baked when the bodyshop at work first painted it and it looked like it had acne.

Thanks for your input Martin. Pesky item this, since I can easily see that excessive heat could be a problem, yet many people have said that this specific type/extent of crazing results from previously ingressed water. I suspect mine has been made worse by someone trying to cover up 'normal' deterioration without proper prep and with a far too thick new paint layer.  It looks as though they did the same thing on the N/S roof channel strip.  I've seen that there are some third party rear spoilers currently available, but I don't think the look is as good/suitable if - as I do - you want to maintain the standard styling.

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, LR5V said:

How about filler putty?

used to fill in any small scratches, not sure I would use this brand, but as an example

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'm going to get a lot of work done on my Gti starting March,  including getting all the existing paint off the spoiler.  I'll then review if I might need to use something as you suggest.  Really appreciate your interest.

5 hours ago, davy26 said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'm going to get a lot of work done on my Gti starting March,  including getting all the existing paint off the spoiler.  I'll then review if I might need to use something as you suggest.  Really appreciate your interest.

What other work are you getting done?

16 hours ago, Y2ACP said:

What other work are you getting done?

My Gti was in Japan 2006-2017, and is in really good shape underneath, so I'm having it Dinitrolled to keep it that way.  Painting: N/S roof channel strip and rear spoiler.  Also calipers, which have gone that deep pinkish colour.  I want to fit a 320mm Momo, (after next MOT, since the new regs/guidelines regarding presence of airbag remain unclear).

As I was lucky enough to work for car manufacturers for 38 years, I've driven many fast and charismatic cars, including on-track, so my own need-for-speed is satisfied by the standard performance of the Gti, but I would like it sounding fruitier, so plan also to get a suitable back pipe or cat-back system.

Already done, (since July): heated driver's seat (showing my age); DAB radio; Coco Mats (expensive but the best you can buy); cambelt.

I bought it on the rebound from seeking an Up! Gti.  I was frustrated by the lack of demonstrators and the suggested 9 months wait.  But I already had some reservations, especially about the wheel/tyre size (with no factory options) and the engine capacity/format/turbocharging. The Lupo is great on these points, and others - no ESC/ECP,  seat tipping mechanism functionality,  styling - and I derive smug pleasure from reading posts on the Up! Forum from owners who have already sold their Gti because they've been unhappy with ride/handling characteristics.

I notice too how much more jovial and friendly the people on this Lupo Forum seem to be!  Over there several of them really are Up themselves!

Regards.

David

5 hours ago, davy26 said:

My Gti was in Japan 2006-2017, and is in really good shape underneath, so I'm having it Dinitrolled to keep it that way.  Painting: N/S roof channel strip and rear spoiler.  Also calipers, which have gone that deep pinkish colour.  I want to fit a 320mm Momo, (after next MOT, since the new regs/guidelines regarding presence of airbag remain unclear).

As I was lucky enough to work for car manufacturers for 38 years, I've driven many fast and charismatic cars, including on-track, so my own need-for-speed is satisfied by the standard performance of the Gti, but I would like it sounding fruitier, so plan also to get a suitable back pipe or cat-back system.

Already done, (since July): heated driver's seat (showing my age); DAB radio; Coco Mats (expensive but the best you can buy); cambelt.

I bought it on the rebound from seeking an Up! Gti.  I was frustrated by the lack of demonstrators and the suggested 9 months wait.  But I already had some reservations, especially about the wheel/tyre size (with no factory options) and the engine capacity/format/turbocharging. The Lupo is great on these points, and others - no ESC/ECP,  seat tipping mechanism functionality,  styling - and I derive smug pleasure from reading posts on the Up! Forum from owners who have already sold their Gti because they've been unhappy with ride/handling characteristics.

I notice too how much more jovial and friendly the people on this Lupo Forum seem to be!  Over there several of them really are Up themselves!

Regards.

David

My lupo was in Japan 2005-2016 i bought from a guy who had imported several cars from Japan over the years as salt on the roads here kill them.He did timing belt water pump pulleys etc when it arrived.He has a contact who picked the best cars for him,I couldn't be happier with condition or how it runs.When I bought the car I wanted to know how much importing cost but he wouldn't let on.It seems like you did the importing if so it would make a great thread starting from the search to where you are now.

5 hours ago, Y2ACP said:

My lupo was in Japan 2005-2016 i bought from a guy who had imported several cars from Japan over the years as salt on the roads here kill them.He did timing belt water pump pulleys etc when it arrived.He has a contact who picked the best cars for him,I couldn't be happier with condition or how it runs.When I bought the car I wanted to know how much importing cost but he wouldn't let on.It seems like you did the importing if so it would make a great thread starting from the search to where you are now.

Hi mate. 

Where did you buy yours from? Always good to know who has the good ones for sale out there.  👍

18 hours ago, musho007 said:

Hi mate. 

Where did you buy yours from? Always good to know who has the good ones for sale out there.  👍

The guy wasn't a trader it was a private sale he just kept swapping cars every few years.If he says it's ok I will pm you his number,then he might tell you about his contract in Japan.

23 hours ago, Y2ACP said:

I've no importing expertise myself.  I'm aware of people in UK who suggest they do have, and can help you find a car, but I'm not so sure, and you know they'll be taking a cut. The model is a rarity so at any one time there's not a huge choice and each car needs assessing on its individual merits.  From my own experience I'd emphasise these points in regard to any example just imported to the UK from Japan:

1) A missing key is much more of a problem than with a UK/Europe car. Also,  I don't think a replacement remote can ever be sourced now - the frequency used was different for Japan.

2) It seems to me likely that the service culture is different in Japan.  I don't think my car - built 2005, registered Jan 2006 - had ever had a replacement cambelt.  Important to check and if in doubt, make it the first job. If you've got a service history in Japanese, this is the field on a service sheet which should be filled if a cambelt change has been done -image.png.b1ce1a785c05910be3938ff9dc0f2851.png

3) At the auctions in Japan they assess condition and signify this with a 'score' between 1 and 5.  It shows on paperwork for my car in my possession and seems reasonable.  But I have heard of instances where the car isn't as good as the score should indicate - so beware in using this when researching a car before you have the chance to inspect it.

Trouble is, when you get the hots for one of these things, and given that there aren't many to choose from, you might have to act quickly and maybe not be as sure of everything as you'd ideally like to be.  But I think that as long as you realise that and have a budget to resolve any things that need immediate sorting, the risks are not too big . . . and the upside is that once you got it, you're going to love it!

My car was sold and shipped from Japan in late 2017, so some of my information could now be invalid.  I think the best help I can offer is to recommend you get in touch with Sam Automobiles, Tokyo.  The company's website includes information on the auctions, buying/exporting process,  and shipping: http://www.samautomobiles.net   Another source is https://www.mdkjapan.com/.   If you want to know about shipping as a separate matter, have a look at www.yuwautotrade.co.uk.

I'm not fully sure about the contemporary market, but I can tell you that a car like mine could be bought  at auction in Tokyo  a couple of years ago for under £2,000.

Sourcing a car from Japan and/or simply owning one adds to the fun I think - just trying to decipher a bunch of service documents in Japanese alone provides hours of mental exercise and a new hobby to enjoy!

Good luck to anyone having a go!

David

I have the hots big time for this car,the whole story designing it,looks,performance,galvanised body,previous owner reviews.If anything happens to this one I will have to have another.My mate had a brand new 06 golf gti,he swaps for new car every 3years on evouques now.I  tell him for what he looses driving off the forecourt he could have a nice golf that he still says is the best car he has ever had.He drives 6k a year.