Vw lupo engine oil change

Braveheartwrx

Hi

The engine oil you need depends on the service schedule the car is on. If it is on an annual/10k miles service, you need an oil that meets the 502.00 specification. If it's the variable service schedule, you need an oil that meets the 504.00 spec. 

502.00 - https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-746-vw-50200-oil.aspx
504.00 - https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-749-vw-50400-oil.aspx

The 504.00 oils are all good oils, so make your decision based on any brand/price preference you have. With the 502.00 oils, go for a 0w-30, 5w30 or 0w-40 or 5w-40.

You need a 75w-80 for the gearbox and the best proven options are the Red Line MTL, Fuchs Sintofluid or Amsoil MTF. The Millers TRX 75w-80, Castrol Syntrans V-FE, Gulf Syngear FE and Motul Motylgear are good alternatives.

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-670-75w-80-75w-85-mtfs.aspx

You need 3.2-4.4L for the engine (seems that different engine codes have different sized sumps) and 2.4L for the gearbox.

Cheers

Tim

Hey hey! I didn't know we've got an Opie oil person on here. You guys have very reasonable oil in bulk. I still have about 300L remaining. Will have to buy some more from you soon.... no complaints from me with your oil sales. Just wish you were a bit closer ro Reading.

Hi

We've been on here quite a while, but I think the notifications stopped coming through (I think it is our email system) and we haven't been on a lot recently. I think the notifications are sorted out now, so will be on here more.

Cheers

Tim

What are your thoughts on the 4 ball oil test? We used to work with the guys at Castrol BP research centre down the road from us here in reading. Their take on it was the best method was stop start engine running- lots and lots of engines lined up being cycled, all identical, on same base oils but different additives. Then strip down and microscopically examine....

Castrol are right, but it's not cheap and it's time consuming. The problem with all the other testing methods is that they are not complete. The oil doesn't have to deal with what happens in an engine. They are often at room temperature rather than hot, there are no combustion by products to deal with, the oil doesn't cover 10-20k of use, etc etc. The 4 ball wear test is one of the better ones and is an industry standard, but there is some debate as to whether it's really suited to testing oil or should it be only for greases.

I think I'm going up to see the Castrol tech centre in either February or March. Will be interesting to see what they do.

Cheers

Tim

We're just around the corner... I know some of the senior bods who might be interested in speaking with you, but as you know, they're a self important lot, (and IMO) probably think they're better than everyone else! Yeah, you know what I mean. BP is ex gov after all... I wonder if that V12 cut away engine is still in reception? Haven't been there for a couple of years.

thanks Tim spot on as always bought from you for donkeys years through other clubs,.

Howevet no service history with the car so no idea what its had or NOT had just want to make sure its all done now we have it, so in that case not aure what the best Vw Spec would be to follow???

seems 5w-30 would be best but what VW NUMBERS would people say?