Hardwired Dashcam

Nathan94

Hi,

Looking to fit a hardwired dashcam to my GTI, this was much easier in my A3 as I hid the wiring behind the pillar.  Has anyone done this in a Lupo and fullyhid the wiring, if so, any pics and tips?

If not, does anyone know where the interior light loom runs?

Thanks!

Yeah, i've fitted a crosstour dashcam on the interior mirror. (Genuine 1080P recording- most DCs are fakes).

Since you never ever look at it or need to touch it, i made a foam wedge and double sided taped it to the back of the left hand side of the interior mirror. All you see from the inside is the usb power cable hanging down from the gap in the roof trim. When you turn on the ignition you get a beep, telling you it's recording, and then again about 30 seconds after you switch off.

make sure you can access the uSDcard.

i had to remove everything- roof trim, centre mirror, sun visors and clips, front grab handles and side windscreen trim to run the cable up behind it. Connected to the ign on power feed at the headlight switch. There is no other way of routing it. I tried to use the interior light power feed, but the camera then never switched off (no good).

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mk2 said:

Yeah, i've fitted a crosstour dashcam on the interior mirror. (Genuine 1080P recording- most DCs are fakes).

Since you never ever look at it or need to touch it, i made a foam wedge and double sided taped it to the back of the left hand side of the interior mirror. All you see from the inside is the usb power cable hanging down from the gap in the roof trim. When you turn on the ignition you get a beep, telling you it's recording, and then again about 30 seconds after you switch off.

make sure you can access the uSDcard.

i had to remove everything- roof trim, centre mirror, sun visors and clips, front grab handles and side windscreen trim to run the cable up behind it. Connected to the ign on power feed at the headlight switch. There is no other way of routing it. I tried to use the interior light power feed, but the camera then never switched off (no good).

So the black trim alongside the windscreen pops off and the wire fits behind there?

Yeah, but to remove it, everything else has to come out, as there is a screw at the top holding it in place. Headliner out first... 

it's a three hour job start to finish.

but at the same time, you can bung in a microphone for in car phone systems and a DAB antenna stuck to the back right window.

1 hour ago, Sausage said:

Apologies for the thread hijack but thinking of getting dash cams as seen to much shitty driving lately and these seem the way to go. Any recommendations?

I have a DDpai mini and it's been geat, they're £34 on eBay for the 1080p model and £50 for the 1400p.

Had it over a year now and occasionally view footage and have had no issues.  It has no screen too, so it's small and compact.

One tip for anyone else thinking of getting a dash cam... there are so so many fakes out there. Really. You can only tell when you remove the memory card and play back on a PC or something with a big screen. Fakes are always pixellated or blurred. You want crystal clear and pin sharp images.

I bought and returned 4 before I found one that actually was the full HD resolution 1080P. And get a decent genuine memory card, as the cheap ones are slow and don't keep up with the data rate they need to record at.

I have a crosstour 1080P. Very good recorded video, even at night.

Edited by mk2