Getting the SDI on the road again

lupo_crush

So after a fail on the MOT and deciding to sell the car for parts I have done some serious soul searching and have decided to keep the Lupo and put it back on the road. 

The list of jobs seems endless but this is it:

1. Brake peddle not retuning to the up position. Have to lift with foot for the last 1cm to turn off the brake lights 
  2. No reception on the radio this is a aftermarket head-unit (Do i need a signal booster?)
  3. New suspension and bushes all round (What is the cheapest way to do this?) 
  4. Blown exhaust in various locations (What parts do i need for a full system)
  5. Cam Belt and Water pump (Total confused, What kit do i need and where is the best/ cheapest place for this?)
  6. Brake disks pads and hoses 
  7. More to follow.
  8. Tighten up the gear linkage. (At some point)
  9. Gear box flush and oil change (Is there a liquid for this like engine flush? and best fluid to replace it with) 

Where to start and get this done? I am sure there is a list of parts as long as my arm.

I will update this as it goes along. All feel free to chip in with any advice and help.  

MOT fail lupo.jpg

Edited by lupo_crush

Brake pedal- sort it once you've got new discs and pads. Once they're in, you'll need to bleed the system and it'll behave like a new car again.

Radio- common problem. There is a circuit board at the base of the antenna that is usually fed with 12V from the OEM radio, down the central wire of the coax. If you use an aftermarket hifi which usually doesn't have a power feed,  you need to plug in a power feed unit into the antenna cable. Couple of quid or there abouts from fleabay,

suspension- just repair the original components, which will be the easiest / cheapest option. I use a bump stop from an old gen passat at the back. Fits better than the lupo one.

exhaust holes- remove the 4 manifold bolts (get new copper nuts) and have someone weld the cat, as they're expensive to replace. The rest of the system is straight forward. Buy a decent one (ernst/asso/walker) and it'll last more than 2 years (cheap are just not worth it). Replace the rubber hangers (decent brand) if needed once everything is back together again.

cam belt change- see "how to"

gearbox flush & refill- "how to"

gearbox linkage- might just need a new rubber ball, rubber boot and synthetic grease. 

After all that, it'll be like a new car again!

Edited by mk2