Tacho problems...

MORE

Hello guys, I've a problem, better two...

The first one, is that, trying to understand how to change bulbs in the tacho, because the light 

intensity is very poor, I discovered that... there are no bulbs, maybe somo leds fitted inside the tacho.

So, remounting the connectors... the speedometer changed from zero Km/h to... below zero...

May yo help me in some way?

Thank you and sorry for my bad english...

Have a nice day.

Moreno

52 minutes ago, mk2 said:

There is an adjuster next to the main light switch- next to the headlight position adjuster. Maybe it is loose? Try wiggling it....

Hi, no, this works well. I know this dashboard, cos I had a 6n2 polo.  Thanks

Yeah, but how to correct for the odometer...? one of my SDI's cluster has a duff buzzer/gong thing, and it isn't the speaker. I have a spare working cluster, but the milage is 186k. My loop's only done 101k. I know absolutely no-one in the entire vdub universe that knows how to correct the odometer (or copy a key for that matter...). @MORE will have the some problem and in Italy they take milage changes very seriously. @Rich knows no-one either and he knows a lot of vdub geezers.

54 minutes ago, Rich said:

Or so I heard.

Yeah, I know a few people who can unsolder the cluster memory chip then muck about with it. But, 90% of the time it ends up trashed and the other 10% of the time something else gets messed up. If someone ever cracks how to change dash settings or copy keys via the diagnostic socket they'll make some money... One guy I know told me he could copy a lupo key for £75, but couldn't guarantee me that he wouldn't break the cluster as he had to unsolder and resolder the memory chip to read the data. Which then turns it into a £350 main dealer problem. Mmmm.

15 hours ago, Rich said:

Lupo key isn't related to the cluster 

I wouldn't trust that guy. 

18 hours ago, mk2 said:

but couldn't guarantee me that he wouldn't break the cluster as he had to unsolder and resolder the memory chip to read the data.

6 hours ago, Rich said:

Lupo key codes to the transponder box like a MK3 golf.

So I'm guessing he must have meant desoldering the chip in the transponder box? I personally don't like messing with stuff like that without lots of info... if it goes wrong, it ends up costing more than just having a dealer sort it before I've broken everything!

interesting thing though, is that i know you can access the cluster AND the transponder box via the diagnostics port, with the Vdub VAS system. It is possible to recalibrate the fuel gauge, set tacho zero position, adjust the 90 degrees C point on the temp gauge using the vdub system- i watched it being done. Only thing I've not seen is a key being copied, or to be more correct- assigning keys to the car. I get the impression you need to put the metal cut key into the ign lock, have the sensor pick up the RF key ID transponder serial number, then assign that key to the car by storing the key Serial number in a memory location somewhere. So it's a 3 step process from having spoken to a lot of people. Learn. Read. Save. You can have up to 3 keys assigned to a car, which implies that there must be 3 memory locations- probably 4 bytes of data per key....? I need more info.

@MORE , Tacho always going low suggests a faulty power bus in the cluster. From my experiments a few years back, I think it runs at -5v 0 +5v or something like that. The needle pointer gauges are all differential drive to isolate them from any main 12v feed fluctuations. Each gauge is driven through a chip, not direct from sensor.

I have done odometer corrections on Loops. Google Vag commander. Perfectly fine for non crypto clusters like the Lupo. Don't use on anything like an RB8 instrument cluster or you'll enter brick city.

Rich is correct. Immobilizer is a separate box. Clocks are independent. You can drive a Lupo without them.

On 12/24/2018 at 6:01 PM, Rich said:

Set it with the car running and the clocks plugged in albeit apart?

No.. I did it with the engine off and disconnect them...

Ok. I tried with engine on, put the needle to zero. Then, ignition on, start. Second prove... Disconnect key, ignition on... Needle below zero... Oh f@@k... Suggestions? I m getting crazy, thanks to everybody. M

On 12/27/2018 at 6:56 PM, mk2 said:

Cluster fault.

Ok. I buy and changed the cluster. This works fine, but now I don't have anymore my old kilometers, but that was

stored in this "new" cluster... Is it correct? BR