Help / Advice / diagnosis

Koko

First up apologies for signing up again and talking when I need help. I was a member years ago but no idea of my log in details. And I hope this is in the right forum section to post this! 

basically my Lupo gti cut out twice a couple of months ago 2 weeks apart whilst queueing for fuel, she was low but not empty. Both occasions started again after a couple of minutes. 

Then a warning light came on and she’s been to the garage and it was something to do with a blower something or other, I don’t listen!!

I had her from new and have never had a single problem, but ive felt she’s not been running right the last few weeks, and tonight she’s cut out again. The revs drop off and she dies. Restarted and the same happened. Smells of petrol but that might be me pumping the accelerater to try get her going. And is miss firing. No joy so parked her up and left her. 

Might just be a coincidence but all three times it’s been raining! 

I use a good garage but this is the only Gti they work on so was hoping to see if anyone as any idea what’s wrong. 

Thank you in advance and again apologies for only posting when I need help! 

There are a few things it could be from your description, but i guess we need to narrow down and eliminate stuff. Great to hear you still have the car after all these years. You are a true Lupo enthusiast! :) Show us a pic or two of how it looks now that it's middle aged...

Cutting out suddenly is usually ignition based or electrical. Especially if there's a misfire. It might be a fuel problem but unlikely. 

Ideally a plug in diagnostic thing would give you a few pointers of possible sources of the problem(s). 

It could be an ignition problem, perhaps coil pack/plug lead.

Might be the crank sesnsor which provides the computer with all the engine timing references. If that is intermittant, it can also give the symptoms you describe.

It could be a power relay under the dash which supplies 12V to all the operating systems when the ignition key is on. An intermittant contact can cause cutting out, but not a misfire.

All of the above are not expensive or tricky to repair as the parts are all easy to access and most places sell the bits. Changing the headlight unit would cost more!

If you're north wales, @Rich isn't that far from you (I think)...

By the way, you probably already know this, but Gtis are becoming a bit of a cult car and have gone up a lot in value recently. Good ones have changed hands for £6k.

Thank you for your reply, hopefully I can get it to the garage today and they can have a look, I’m was thinking electrical / ignition too but I know nothing hence asking on here! 

This is the first fault, beside the window mechanism breaking once when I slammed the door in temper. And that’s part of the reason I’ve had it so long, it’s been so reliable and I love that no one around here has the same car! I had a silver one before buying this one .... I preferred the colour blue! 

As for pics I’ll post some when I’ve got her back, is it bad I don’t think I’ve any on my phone! she still a standard raven blue only thing different from the day I bought is a private plate and a lot of scratches and wear and tear 😂

My plan for next year was a respray as it was keyed years ago and I’ve just never sorted it, the seats - especially the drivers side need a retrim, and maybe new wheels and head unit. I’ll be sure to come here for advice on all that .... hopefully she’s got enough years left in her justify the costs! 

Thanks

Koko, we need your location to be able to suggest a garage that can sort you out, if you are near Cardiff, its NG Motors, or in Swansea Rtec, but there are lots more, to start with it needs  a diagnostic lead linked to a laptop plugged into your car's portal, the portal is under your ashtray.

When it comes to refurbing the interior, especially the driver's seat and door cards, i always get my bits secondhand from continental europe. Being the passenger side over there and being a small car, mostly occupied by one person, the passenger side most often is like brand new. It's amazing how a new seat (upholstery) completely transforms the car. "Oh, you've really looked after it then" are the comments i get all the time for both my SDIs... :)

Just re-read your symptoms while having lunch... it could be cam sensor or O2. Petrol smell, dies gradually after loss of power.... easy way to check is with diagnostics of course, but failing that just unplug the O2 and see if it reproduces the fault, or no change while running. Same for cam sensor.

Edited by mk2

Thanks for the reply’s guys, it’s in the garage hopefully will have some news tomorrow! I’ve in Conwy county north wales. 

What ever the problem is I can’t complain ... 14 1/2 years and nearly 100,000 miles of ownership and this is my first issue!! 

2 hours ago, Koko said:

Thanks for the reply’s guys, it’s in the garage hopefully will have some news tomorrow! I’ve in Conwy county north wales. 

What ever the problem is I can’t complain ... 14 1/2 years and nearly 100,000 miles of ownership and this is my first issue!! 

You must be a careful driver who doesn't thrash their car... with maintenance, most cars last reasonably well. Especially vdubs which is why they generally hold their value. Cheap motoring if you look at the problem list over 14 1/2 years :)Mind you the mk4 golf I was given a few years ago has been a complete nightmare. If it could go wrong, it went wrong. So so many design faults. And it was very well serviced.

They can’t find anything wrong besides the spark plugs weren’t in great condition, I can’t remember the word he used to discribe them!! No faults coming up when plugged in. They have put new plugs in and see how she goes. Doesn’t feel right to me but that might be paranoia. Fingers crossed! 

Mk2 I think I’ve reached the age that I like to just plod along on the motor way, but you can never beat a good thrashing along an open country road!!