New owner 1.7 SDI

Dizzy_PD

SDi's are ok as long as you know how to drive them (i.e. anticipating every hill and every other driver's movements before they make tem).

Inferior to both TDi engines available on the Lupo. To be honest, I think they're only better at reliability (as they will last forever, basically :lol:)

Edited by Blue Loop

23 hours ago, mk2 said:

Nah, the 1.7 always takes ages to warm up. With or without EGR. The reason it takes ages is because it is so efficient, where most power goes to the wheels or as heat down the exhaust pipe. The beauty of a DI diesel is that you have a thin boundary layer of air between the piston crown, the cylinder head, the bores and the ball of fire expanding, generating pressure to run the engine. The thin layer of air blocks the heat getting into the engine. Air's a pretty good insulator.

The quick way of disabling EGR is by disconnecting the vacuum hose on the choke flap. Then block the hose. Keeps the air supply clean. But you also need to do the same to the EGR valve, to stop the exhaust gases getting through. EGR is disabled over about 2200 RPM.

Thanks, it's on the list of to dos. :)

On 12/15/2018 at 7:06 PM, weslangdon said:

Agree, the TDI is the car to have, I had an Arosa SDI for a while, very slow and very smelly, good bit was the wind up windows

I think it was only running on 3 cylinders, which would explain the smoke and the lack if poke, have driven a Lupo version since and was pleasantly surprised, similar performance to the 1 litre petrol

My SDI is definitely quicker and outhandles my 1.8L petrol mk4. Both factory spec (apart from gas flowed inlet plenum and EGR disabled on the SDI). It's the mk4 handling that gets me. It's awful (compared to my mk2s).

I've had a drive of the little 3 pot TDI. The main benefit is when you're on a motorway going uphill. Pulling away power is far superior on the SDI (more torque, 4 cyls), but top end power dies. I guess that's why AHU engines are so good. Lots of low down torque and reasonable power at the top.

55 minutes ago, Rich said:

Agreed on the AHU, better than a pd.

But still, who wants a three pot 9n3 in their life?

Not as nose heavy as the SDI version, only driven these as hire cars in Spain but the 4 pot diesel has ugly handling compared to say the petrol 1.2

The SDI is a very heavy lump... but it uses the exact same block as the 1.9 line of diesel engines. Not tried the 1.2 petrol, but you're certainly correct, as it's a much lighter thing. At least 75kg lighter I'd imagine.

Edited by mk2
Typo
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, oprn said:

I'm amazed at all theses different engines you all talk about that I didn't even know existed!

we are on the engines in the 4th Generation Polo  Typ 6Q/9N/9N3; 2002–2009, most basic engine was the 3 cylinder petrol just 1.2 litres

Guys, a little stuck.

Trying to purchase brake shoes for the SDI, looking on euro there's loads of variations..

Some 180mm diameter, some 200mm diameter, ones for cast iron wheel cylinders, others for aluminium wheel cylinders, I've read the brake guide on the forum but it just says rears: drums with no other info.. can anyone help shed any light please?

Thanks

No easy answer other than jack her up, pull the wheel and drum off and get measuring.... there are a few variations in rear drum for some unknown reason. The shoes from my mk2 golf are a perfect fit in my SDIs!

19 minutes ago, mk2 said:

No easy answer other than jack her up, pull the wheel and drum off and get measuring.... there are a few variations in rear drum for some unknown reason. The shoes from my mk2 golf are a perfect fit in my SDIs!

Thanks, hopefully get some ok weather soon!

Hey Dan get this...

someone bumped my SDI while it was parked in supermarket car park about a week ago- i was standing next to it, so they couldn't drive away.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, their insurance company siad that they'll have to write my car off for the tiny two inch long scratch, as the respray will cost about £380. So I'm now trying to get the people to settle privately and have a mate spray it for me (i'll probably do it myslef TBH).

Apparently the insurance value of SDI Lupos, even in superb condition is only about £472! Is this what your system also tells you? So in a nutshell, any scuff or ding will now write off a Lupo. Is this mad or what? Even a Gti insurance value is only £620. Damage costing more than half the book value will write it off. Is there a scam going on the car insurance business?