New fuel line

If nothing was budging it, then you were 100% doing it wrong. I assume you've broken the clip on the hose itself? There's a technique to removing them. It usually involves, depressing the locking clip, pushing the line towards the filter and then pulling.

Which hose? There's fuel return lines for 70 quid on the bay of E.

31 minutes ago, Skezza said:

If nothing was budging it, then you were 100% doing it wrong. I assume you've broken the clip on the hose itself? There's a technique to removing them. It usually involves, depressing the locking clip, pushing the line towards the filter and then pulling.

Which hose? There's fuel return lines for 70 quid on the bay of E.

I possibly was, but the other side came off easily enough. The full end of the line, clip and everything has snapped off.

Its the hose that goes from the top of the tank down to the filter

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

Scrappy!

are they the same on all lupos? And is it easy to replace? as in can i do it on my driveway?

2 hours ago, Skajme said:

I possibly was, but the other side came off easily enough. The full end of the line, clip and everything has snapped off.

Luck, rather than technique, so just note that seeing as you're about to install the new line. No point damaging another. The usual method is: push it inwards (towards the filter), you depress the clip, which loosens the clip attachment and while still holding the clip in, pull gently. You should feel it actually release and slacken. A cheap set of pliers help, especially in the bitter weather. Don't just press and pull though, I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that they are specifically designed NOT to be removed that way. Any resistance, you're doing it wrong.... so start again.

45 minutes ago, Skezza said:

Luck, rather than technique, so just note that seeing as you're about to install the new line. No point damaging another. The usual method is: push it inwards (towards the filter), you depress the clip, which loosens the clip attachment and while still holding the clip in, pull gently. You should feel it actually release and slacken. A cheap set of pliers help, especially in the bitter weather. Don't just press and pull though, I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that they are specifically designed NOT to be removed that way. Any resistance, you're doing it wrong.... so start again.

Probably was a bit of luck, i did look into how you remove them, though I'm fairly sure that the previous filter was the original one from new which can't have helped! Cheers for a more detailed description on how getting it off works though, I suppose its one of those things that's simple when you know the proper way!

12 minutes ago, Rich said:

I buggered mine on the TT, sometimes they just don't want to come off and nothing you can do will help.

I disagree, but then you've worked on a million more cars than me so I'll take your word for it ;) 

I replaced mine - the clip on the filter would not undo. 

My beam was off at the time - suspect that helped a lot for access - so not sure how much harder it is with it still there.

Definitely easier as a 2 man job, drop the rear tank straps, tank resting on a trolley jack and lower it 8 to 10cm. the old one is clipped onto the tank near the sender unit with one person on top loosen the pipe and the one below pulling, but note that there is a specific route the pipe takes, ideally you need to take pictures to help route the new pipe, first feed the new pipe loosely and adjust route until its correct and clip it all together. raise the tank and bolt straps back, re-intake access panel and your done.

4 hours ago, Rich said:

I buggered mine on the TT, sometimes they just don't want to come off and nothing you can do will help.

....and lets not forget Mk4 golf fuel filters... yup, those clips can be a pain. I think gunge gets into the clip so it can't be pressed to release the catch.

Sorted it out this morning. Pretty easy job to be honest. Undid the rear two fuel tank strap bolts so it dropped a couple of centimetres to help me push the line through, disconnected and pulled out the old line, then pushed the new one through and connected it all back up. Everything is now working perfectly. Only took about an hour. Cheers for the help!

1 hour ago, Skajme said:

Sorted it out this morning. Pretty easy job to be honest. Undid the rear two fuel tank strap bolts so it dropped a couple of centimetres to help me push the line through, disconnected and pulled out the old line, then pushed the new one through and connected it all back up. Everything is now working perfectly. Only took about an hour. Cheers for the help!

That sounds familiar...