Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Skajme

New fuel line

Recommended Posts

How hard is it to replace the fuel line from the tank to the filter? And is VW the only place to get one? I have managed to snap the end off the line trying to get the filter off as nothing at all was budging it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If nothing was budging it, then you were 100% doing it wrong. I assume you've broken the clip on the hose itself? There's a technique to removing them. It usually involves, depressing the locking clip, pushing the line towards the filter and then pulling.

Which hose? There's fuel return lines for 70 quid on the bay of E.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scrappy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Skezza said:

If nothing was budging it, then you were 100% doing it wrong. I assume you've broken the clip on the hose itself? There's a technique to removing them. It usually involves, depressing the locking clip, pushing the line towards the filter and then pulling.

Which hose? There's fuel return lines for 70 quid on the bay of E.

I possibly was, but the other side came off easily enough. The full end of the line, clip and everything has snapped off.

Its the hose that goes from the top of the tank down to the filter

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

Scrappy!

are they the same on all lupos? And is it easy to replace? as in can i do it on my driveway?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Double yes.

Not a diesel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ordered one from VW, It was only 33 quid. For that its probably better to have a new one.

Any tips on how to replace it or does it just feed down through easily enough?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Skajme said:

I possibly was, but the other side came off easily enough. The full end of the line, clip and everything has snapped off.

Luck, rather than technique, so just note that seeing as you're about to install the new line. No point damaging another. The usual method is: push it inwards (towards the filter), you depress the clip, which loosens the clip attachment and while still holding the clip in, pull gently. You should feel it actually release and slacken. A cheap set of pliers help, especially in the bitter weather. Don't just press and pull though, I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that they are specifically designed NOT to be removed that way. Any resistance, you're doing it wrong.... so start again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Skezza said:

Luck, rather than technique, so just note that seeing as you're about to install the new line. No point damaging another. The usual method is: push it inwards (towards the filter), you depress the clip, which loosens the clip attachment and while still holding the clip in, pull gently. You should feel it actually release and slacken. A cheap set of pliers help, especially in the bitter weather. Don't just press and pull though, I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that they are specifically designed NOT to be removed that way. Any resistance, you're doing it wrong.... so start again.

Probably was a bit of luck, i did look into how you remove them, though I'm fairly sure that the previous filter was the original one from new which can't have helped! Cheers for a more detailed description on how getting it off works though, I suppose its one of those things that's simple when you know the proper way!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I buggered mine on the TT, sometimes they just don't want to come off and nothing you can do will help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Rich said:

I buggered mine on the TT, sometimes they just don't want to come off and nothing you can do will help.

I disagree, but then you've worked on a million more cars than me so I'll take your word for it ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I replaced mine - the clip on the filter would not undo. 

My beam was off at the time - suspect that helped a lot for access - so not sure how much harder it is with it still there.

Definitely easier as a 2 man job, drop the rear tank straps, tank resting on a trolley jack and lower it 8 to 10cm. the old one is clipped onto the tank near the sender unit with one person on top loosen the pipe and the one below pulling, but note that there is a specific route the pipe takes, ideally you need to take pictures to help route the new pipe, first feed the new pipe loosely and adjust route until its correct and clip it all together. raise the tank and bolt straps back, re-intake access panel and your done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess if it is awkward you could just chop the filter in half, drop the tank and do it off the car?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rich said:

I buggered mine on the TT, sometimes they just don't want to come off and nothing you can do will help.

....and lets not forget Mk4 golf fuel filters... yup, those clips can be a pain. I think gunge gets into the clip so it can't be pressed to release the catch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The TT is the same as the MK4.

I put a pd in mine and left the petrol filter under the car.

Double filtration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must have been lucky. I've never had problems on a variety of cars. Good idea from rich about cutting in half.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorted it out this morning. Pretty easy job to be honest. Undid the rear two fuel tank strap bolts so it dropped a couple of centimetres to help me push the line through, disconnected and pulled out the old line, then pushed the new one through and connected it all back up. Everything is now working perfectly. Only took about an hour. Cheers for the help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Skajme said:

Sorted it out this morning. Pretty easy job to be honest. Undid the rear two fuel tank strap bolts so it dropped a couple of centimetres to help me push the line through, disconnected and pulled out the old line, then pushed the new one through and connected it all back up. Everything is now working perfectly. Only took about an hour. Cheers for the help!

That sounds familiar...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LR5V said:

That sounds familiar...

Basically went off what you said! Very helpful, cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.