Tyres

weslangdon

Do we need a tyre thread, I ask/suggest because in my experience, my little Lupo's/Arosa's chew their way through tyres very quickly. Front tyres rarely last a year, and that's experience across the board, I've had 3 TDI's, an Auto, two 75bhp 1.4's, a Sport a 1litre, and an SDI. Only one missing is the GTI. I'm sloppy when it comes to brands too, I usually buy the cheapest but I will always put a pair on the front. Is there any point in buying Michelin, or Conti's, is there a wear/performance advantage or is that all in the heads of tyre testers?

• 2 weeks later...

I done quite a lot of research a few years back and it was between the Vredestein Sportrac and UniRoyal Rainsports.

The only points they lost to the Rainsports were in the wet, but then it wasn't many. I was taking y GTI on an epic 3k road trip through the Pyranees to the South of France and Spain and back.

I  ended up going for Vredestein Sportracs and can honestly say I wasn't disappointed. Still on the car now and perform really well.

I have Rainsports on my Polo Dune TDI; also great tyres, but it doesn't get driven as hard as the  GTI.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Uniroyal/Rainsport-3.htm

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Vredestein/Sportrac-5.htm

6 hours ago, Silver! said:

I done quite a lot of research a few years back and it was between the Vredestein Sportrac and UniRoyal Rainsports.

The only points they lost to the Rainsports were in the wet, but then it wasn't many. I was taking y GTI on an epic 3k road trip through the Pyranees to the South of France and Spain and back.

I  ended up going for Vredestein Sportracs and can honestly say I wasn't disappointed. Still on the car now and perform really well.

I have Rainsports on my Polo Dune TDI; also great tyres, but it doesn't get driven as hard as the  GTI.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Uniroyal/Rainsport-3.htm

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Vredestein/Sportrac-5.htm

How well have they lasted?

On 12/3/2018 at 5:25 PM, weslangdon said:

How well have they lasted?

Pretty well, though I just had to replace one on the front  due to a gash on the inside edge.

Rears are fine at 15k miles of pretty spirited driving: main tread was fine on front, but worn on inner edge. 

On 12/8/2018 at 12:22 PM, weslangdon said:

rears always last the course but fronts don't do too well, perhaps it's the extra weight of the TDI motor

😂Like I said, main tread is fine on the fronts, but the inner edge is down to an MOT warning. Camber? Spirited driving? 

My TDI is scrubbing on inside edge badly one side, and some on the other with feathering too.

Adjusted camber, adjusted toe a while back, still scrubbing but less so and then checked the arm bushes few weeks back, mine are very old and soft and need changing as they allow the arm and obviously toe to move. i bought some new arms and looked into HD solid bushes from audi TT as well but havent done it yet just bunged some crap wheels and tyres on until MOT in January and will do it all then.

TLDR: Bottom arm bushes.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/22/2018 at 10:10 PM, weslangdon said:

Do we need a tyre thread, I ask/suggest because in my experience, my little Lupo's/Arosa's chew their way through tyres very quickly. Front tyres rarely last a year, and that's experience across the board, I've had 3 TDI's, an Auto, two 75bhp 1.4's, a Sport a 1litre, and an SDI. Only one missing is the GTI. I'm sloppy when it comes to brands too, I usually buy the cheapest but I will always put a pair on the front. Is there any point in buying Michelin, or Conti's, is there a wear/performance advantage or is that all in the heads of tyre testers?

There is a design problem with the steering geometry of our lupos. If you draw a line between the back wheels and put a dot dead centre, then use that dot to run along the circumference of a circle (like when going round a roundabout), each front wheel should be perfectly square to the radius (same as the back wheels). So in effect, the front wheels should be running perfectly in line with the circle. The inner wheel running around a smaller circle than the outer wheel (also the reason you need a differential). When on full lock, the inner wheel turns in way too far, which is why you get scrubbing on the inside edge. The only reason I can think is because the wheelbase is so short. If the wheels were a lot bigger, larger steering levers could be used on the hubs which would fix it, but then the car would look very odd. 22" wheels on a lupo...!

• Confused 1