Lupo GTi roof gutter rust?

Swirleman

Looking for a Lupo GTi as a fun little runabout 

Apparently the roof gutters can show some paint bubbles as water can get trapped in it

There are lots of people saying they got this sorted free on the 12 year rust warranty but that’s gone now as the oldest cars were 2005

What would remedying it involve does anyone know

Presumably if the oxidation occurs from surface water trapped in the channel, it is just superficial and a local smart repair or basic rundown and por15 type diy treatment would suffice maybe?

Can just the gutters be resprayed  though or is it all the roof?

and is there a fix to stop it happening again like improvements to the trim strip or something 

and do the trims need to come out to inspect it properly and how do they come off exactly so I can inspect it when I look at the car? Thanks 

They just pull out. They’re held in place by tapered rubber/metal strips, so if they’ve not been removed they may take a bit of piggling out. And it depends on the spread of the bubbling, but I’d say a sprayer would want to do the whole roof coz it’s be tricky to blow it in across the roof.

I think the minor jiggling of the strips rubs against the gutters and allows to water to get under the paint, the only way to stop that I guess would be to hold the strips in locked solid with some kind of permanent bonding agent.

Thing is with silicone, one of its main selling points is it’s flexible when dry, so you may not be any better off, but tbh once it’s all repair I doubt you’d have any issues for a good few years. Alternatively you could just not refit the strips?