AFH coil pack conversion??

Prole

As in title doing a AFH conversion for my gti as the AVY has taken a turn for the worse and I would still like to keep coil packs rather than going with the distributor.

Down the line I'm thinking of running a nodiz, for when I get the itb's going. Blanking plate and use the gti's coils etc.

Ive also got crank sensors etc to worry about, but can I use the sensor from my AVY on the AFH? But can someone give me a heads up as I'm thinking of doing the ignition straight away an I'd like to get an idea of the best or most logical way about it. Not a engine guru and won't be doing the work myself, a good friend is before anyone asks

Yeah, just go for it. You keep existing ecu, but use resistors to make the ecu think ignition side is still there. = no codes.

fit it, tweek timing. Use a knock sensor if you can. Sorted.

6 hours ago, mk2 said:

Yeah, just go for it. You keep existing ecu, but use resistors to make the ecu think ignition side is still there. = no codes.

fit it, tweek timing. Use a knock sensor if you can. Sorted.

You referring to using the nodiz?? If yes that's no problem and what I've been in discussion with a friend about in regards to ecu and resistors. I'm assuming no way of doing it on the base ecu without using a external ignition ecu?? The motor won't be back on the road to early next year, redone the whole underside powder coated and new polys throughout except for sus top mounts and the rear. Got my afh though a friend for 120 complete 90k miles and looking on a port an polished head with piper cams for 400ish but haven't decided on that yet may grab it as the piper re profiled cams are 250 on there ones so an extra for a fully rebuilt head for 200 isn't bad. Just want it done an over with haha wishbi never started

• 1 year later...
On 6/11/2020 at 2:12 PM, imaparana said:

I know this is a pretty old thread now. However im looking at doing an AFH/AVY hybrid at some point, will the AVY ecu not take a dump if the cam position sensor is removed? 

Just tried this, it’ll start and rev with the cam position and solonoid removed/disconnected