What is going on with this Turbo Lupo Pipework?

LR5V

I'd have run that down to the TDI filter location if there is room there on a GTI, but looks like he has the filter right next to the inlet manifold (if that is the start of a cone filter i see there). Odd, but maybe he already had the parts and they dictated it go that end. The inlet manifold should be the coolest part of the engine, but that would be quickly offset by the engine temp under the bonnet, better off out front away from any heat.

Water cooled turbo too...

Edited by Sausage

I'd be pretty chuffed if I'd done this, minimal fab, tidy install. i hope the single jubilee clip around an inch of rubber is just covering a small hole or something though....(a mount probably)

What's the valve thing joining boost side to intake side? Emissions stuff? Cant see why it joins boost side as well. (stealth dump valve?)

30548.jpg

Edited by Sausage

They all look like 1.8t stuff, wouldn't surprise me if it had ECU as well - I believe its a MAP sensor attached to elbow onto inlet and a standard bi-pass valve above the rocker releasing boost back into inlet - it is metered air, dumping to atmosphere creates a lot of problems on 1.8t's

I know someone who runs a daily Mk4 with big power on an OEM ecu. He maps it himself and despite being standard management it is very versatile.

Why didn't he use the oem diesel air filter box that slots in, just in front of the RHS wheel. Nice short duct into the turbine. So much neater and more flowy.

yeah bosch ecus are very good. You can indeed keep everything completly stock, chuck in a supercharger and just change the injectors. Then just a remap. Sorted. 2.5x stock power.

Then you need to do some balancing.

I can never get my head around how crankshafts are balanced. As soon as you change the rods for say lighter titanium types, the big ends will obviously be lighter. But the crank webs don't need to be touched! Huh?

I've always temporarily assembled everything as a piston/gudgeon pin/rod and bearing assembly (including the big end bolts). Then with some digital kitchen scales, resting the piston on the table and keeping the rod horizontal, weigh the big end. Then grind a little off the sides until each big end is the same as the lightest one. Then the next step would be to remove some material from the crank... but i never have. I don't get it.

On 11/10/2018 at 2:02 PM, LR5V said:

I know someone who runs a daily Mk4 with big power on an OEM ecu. He maps it himself and despite being standard management it is very versatile.

Can you find out what he uses to do this himself? There didnt seem to be a cheap option to do this when i briefly looked into it.

Edited by Sausage