Lupo 3L fuel issue

Rokasgr

If any diesel car gives low economy, it is usually running a rich mixture (not enough air) or braking effort somewhere/high friction.

The computer will keep injecting the same fuel (it doesn't know there's a problem), but not enough air means black smoke, low power, bad economy. Hey, just thought... does the 3L have EGR? Could be stuck EGR?

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/1/2022 at 12:10 PM, Feta1994 said:

Hello,i have the same problem with my lupo (converted from automatic to manual) 1.2 tdi 3l

Hello 

I’m facing the same issue.

-all the maintenance updated

-new tires with original wheels 

-manual gear box. I’m working between 1500-2000 rpm

-no smoke

-the engine performance is really good

And it’s hard to be below 5l even in open road.

Any suggestions?

Regards

Without reprogramming the ECU for a manual gearbox, the ECU will be running in emergency or fault mode.

I'm actually surprised that the car works at all, because the throttle demand is decided by the ECU, not the driver (or pedal). With a regular, normal 3L, you select drive and then can plant your foot to the floor to accelerate fast. The ECU decides how much throttle to give the engine, when to back off during a gear change and then how much power to give for the next gear.... etc.

If the car works, then some major modifications must have been made! 👍🏻😀

Edited by mk2
Typo
  • Like 1

I already bought it as manual, so, I’m not sure if it was reprogrammed or not.
I have a dtc regarding the gearbox as it is not installed, however I have no engine error and the engine behaviour looks normal with good performance and no smoke. I thought that gearbox error didn’t impact the fuel consumption.

What is your suggestion?

To reprogram the ecu to set the gearbox as manual, how should I do?

Thanks in advance.

BR,

Joao

I think, but not sure because I have not tried it (3L is VERY rare in the UK), when people do an auto to manual gearbox swap thing, they wire the engine that it is always in Neutral. So it can rev for TÜV/MOT testing in a regular 3L. The gearbox selector is changed so it is always wired for N (and starting). Resistors replace the gearbox solenoids & sensors.

So if driving in the start mode the load map will be wrong, because there is no control to advance the injection timing. I'm guessing- I don't know! So if driving the car in start or Neutral mode, the efficiency will not be correct because the system is set to run for not moving with no load(???). Solution is remap or different ECU and different turbo system (same as 1.4 Tdi)?

I would very much like a manual 3L...

Make sense your analysis.

I thought it was easier to find that info. I need to keep investigating.

There only problem by now is the Fuel consumption (4.8l/100km with very careful) but the car very well in did.

Many thanks for your answer mk2.