My little accident with me lupo

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Scuttle cover - if its the same as Gti - its wiper arms off, pull rubber seal & foam seals at either side off.

unscrew the visible screws on the passenger side - the screws really like to run away and hide so take care here.

remove the released panel that covers cabin filter. the rest of the panel should un-clip and pull forward 

glad to hear your progress, you should be back on the road soon. 

Can I ask about passenger air bag - is it dash out to remove?

Edited by LR5V

Well what a f ck on that was. Got be care full when edging the rear pocket out.  If it unclips from the rear trim 

Looks like you start from the rear then work your way forward because it overlaps each other ☹️😯

Right ball ache to do and got to do 4 times. I have 4 weeks to do it all in and no garage.

Andrew 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Got the dashboard in and air bag light is on. Got me brothers code reader pluged in. Still won't go out. Bad igniter it says.So I am assuming vcds  will clear it when the cable turns up. Has anyone else done this and did it work.

Andrew 

6 minutes ago, Andrew1971 said:

Hi all

Got the dashboard in and air bag light is on. Got me brothers code reader pluged in. Still won't go out. Bad igniter it says.So I am assuming vcds  will clear it when the cable turns up. Has anyone else done this and did it work.

Andrew 

Bad igniter means there's a break in the line. Either a connection isn't connected or there's a break in the wire. Trust me. At a push the airbag is actually dead..... unlikely. 

If everything is connected start tracing. Your biggest concern will be if it's your slip ring. New slip ring isn't cheap. Cheap ones can be had from China. You can also repair them. I repaired one with a soldering iron and effort.

Was it worth it? Not for the 8 quid I could have got one from China for.

Talk to me, I've done this crap to death and had the pain. Might as well save you from suffering.

Bad igniter..... which side? Let's start with that eh?

Take care around air bags. They can be dangerous. Don't stick meter probes on the igniter module, or if you really have to, connect extension wires to the module and do it from a few metres away. 

2 hours ago, Andrew1971 said:

@Skezza Thank you for you reply. It's the passenger side air bag that went off. Driver side is fine.

It's a dash board came from a scrap car from u pull it in york . It was a 1 litre lupo.

Andrew

OK. Most will tell you passenger side is harder. No. Passenger side is much easier imo. Slip rings/clock springs/squibs whatever people like to call them can be utterly evil to work with, especially if split or crack in the ribbon is only partial. I've had that as well.

Start tracing back. Just start from the airbag and the module which is accessible behind the bottom of the dash. It's a bit of a bugger to get to but you can cut your carpet slightly (not cut it off, just an incision) and easily access it..... or remove the plastic. Whatever your preference is. If it's worth something, probably the second. Check the wires in the clamp connector, but they're nicely  fitted from the factory so it's unlikely to be there. You kind of need to work backwards.

1 hour ago, mk2 said:

Take care around air bags. They can be dangerous. Don't stick meter probes on the igniter module, or if you really have to, connect extension wires to the module and do it from a few metres away. 

I'm hesitant to agree with this. Yes, airbags CAN be dangerous, but just use common sense. Indeed sticking a probe in the igniter module would be insane, but you can diagnose a bad igniter by using a resistor. Just put it across the connector, clear codes and voila, you have your answer. I'm fairly sure you'll see the airbag light come back though. People are scared of things that they think can go bang but I've never had one explode and I've done some rather risky things with airbags (it's not like that film Bad Neighbours) and despite peoples fears about them going bang if you disconnect the little strip plug on the back with a battery connected, what exactly happens when the squib becomes damaged? You've just disconnected it, essentially.

Hi All

It's not the connection that all looks good. Vcds does not work interface not found.

@Skezza where is the module located which side don't what to look for.

The air bag light is getting very annoying and time is running out.

as I have the other car to do for the mot on the 20th of this month.

Andrew

The airbag ECU is behind the centre console on the transmission tunnel. You may find that because the airbag has gone off, that's why its showing a fault code. I'm pretty sure they are one-use only modules and may need a new/second hand one fitted before the fault will clear.

LUPOAIRBAGMODULE.jpg

Under the centre console right up to the bulkhead.

If you lie in the passenger footwell and lever the plastic a bit you can see it.

Silver box, yellow plug (variations of this) three 10 mm dome nuts.

A bit sunk into the sound deadening.

Like I said before, without removing the dash, it's very hard to access. The fact Rich did it must have taken some serious effort. You can increase your chances by adding a few light incisions, as I did when I had problems. Obviously if your car matters more than just an A-B runabout, then you might not fancy it, totally your call.

2 hours ago, lupogtiboy said:

The airbag ECU is behind the centre console on the transmission tunnel. You may find that because the airbag has gone off, that's why its showing a fault code. I'm pretty sure they are one-use only modules and may need a new/second hand one fitted before the fault will clear.

Really? What a strange piece of planned obsolescence.... unless there's a technical reason for this?