• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oops.

Everything is repairable.

I fancy some SDI spares though. What a shame as that car was immac.

personally, I'd strip everything off and then work out what needs replacing.

At a glance, I'd say-

RHS wing, complete front bumper, radiator trim panel, bonnet, hinges?

then behind all that, front valance, radiator, headlights and indicators, maybe some power steering bits.

air bag deployment?

Parts would come in at probably about £400 I'd guess. Lots of time, maybe 30h. And then respray to the right colour (assuming used parts from a donor car). Insruance would probably assume rebuild cost about £1000, so yeah, probably a write off. But if you got it fixed before they value it, you could save it. Get the repair valued (in writing) from 3 places at I dunno, around £450, get it fixed and then present them with receipts once complete. I've done it a couple of times and got away with it without any recorded insurance thing. But you'd need to do most of the work yourself. About four weekends would do it....

I would take the front panel off, get a crash bar and if it will bolt on, repair it.

If it won't, get two bits of wood and a trolley jack on its side and then make it fit.

Some insurers will allow used parts for older cars - but with the value being so low labour will still burst the budget. 

I was at my local You-pull-it scrap yard here in Edinburgh today, there were 2 black Lupo's available to pick parts off and another complete runner for sale. But the head office is in York - just down the road from Northallerton - you could get lucky, their prices are fixed PRICE LIST  - you could get everything for around £100, that is  if they have a Black Lupo and that the Edinburgh branch cornering the market in them.

Hi All 

Thank you all for the help. Fingers crossed i should be finding out what's happening with me lupo 

tomorrow. I will let you all know on what happens. I am starting to get a little nervous with what's going on.

Andrew 

No worries about insurance. You need to see it from their point of view, then it all makes sense. To them it is purely a financial transaction and the car is no more than an asset. It could be a block of wood for all they care.

Ultimately, if you think it'll cost you more money in the long term making a claim than fixing it yourself, then don't go through the claim process. Unless there's been damage to the other car which would cost a lot to fix. You could just settle privately, as the other car's owner will now have to declare that they too have been involved in an accident, which will affect their premiums too. No claim. Nothing to declare :)

A year ago my black SDI was just about totalled. The hardest repair was the roof. But it looks like new again. If anything, better than it was before. Didn't even notify. 

Hi All 

Spoke to insurance i was on the phone for about 30ish minutes today. I said it cost 400 to 500 to repair i told 

them I will do it myself. But had to get it home myself and it cost a grand total of £20.

So in the next few days when aching stops i will make a start on it.

Andrew

If the crash bar on the front between the chassis legs is bent much then it has pulled the legs in a few mm, start there when rebuilding as Rich said and get a crash bar to fit back in, long block of wood and scissor jack between legs will probably be enough.

I'd have still claimed, but then I buy cars with the intention of keeping them running as long as I need to. With 55k miles on the clock, that car is good for another 250k miles, and I'd have just kept it running until then..... However, writing it off nails any resale value, so it depends what your future plans are.

Good luck anyway. 

Bear in mind that even if they choose to write it off, there are loads of us who'll buy the bits if you break it. You'll definitely get your money back one way or other.

Like @Skezza says, if you want to keep it for the next ten+ years, then the insurance category is completely irrelevant. Fix it and keep enjoying it like I do with my two SDIs :)

19 hours ago, mk2 said:

Bear in mind that even if they choose to write it off, there are loads of us who'll buy the bits if you break it. You'll definitely get your money back one way or other.

Like @Skezza says, if you want to keep it for the next ten+ years, then the insurance category is completely irrelevant. Fix it and keep enjoying it like I do with my two SDIs :)

Yep. I actually made a few quid on my ratty Mazda thanks to good old insurance :) 

Hi All

Thank you for all the replys. An update some pics Lupo with no front.

For me the Lupo is a keeper best car i have had. and putting on new front end on is cheaper than getting another car. 

So question time.

1. is the radiator the same across all models or just SDi

2.  the alternator across all models or just SDi

3. would the GTi front end fit if i come ascross one (dont think that would happen.)

So next weeks plan is find parts.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-Volkswagen-Lupo-1-7-SDI-S/372487782593?hash=item56ba0080c1:g:VzQAAOSweIlb2e9B:rk:25:pf:0

Heres on for you all same model as mine  Do you think the price is right !!!  

And to make matters a little more harder is i will have to hire a van and Get all parts in one go🙄  because of the finances. 

20181101_133913.jpg

20181101_133944.jpg

20181101_133955.jpg

20181101_134040.jpg

Edited by Andrew1971

Yeah looks like the tow bar was definitely the winner...

100% repairable. Just make a list of all the bits you stripped off. 

Not sure on the alternator. Only the back cover broken?

do you have the online parts drawings? All the cross referencing is on there which will tell you which parts are SDI specific...

I use this site for part numbers - you need to know your engine code for Radiator. Alternator usually has an ampage stated on a label

When I stripped my front end down, I was going to comment on my bumper iron being so thin as "I have oven pans that are thicker" , yours after the bump looks like a take away foil tray!

4 hours ago, Andrew1971 said:

20181101_134040.jpg

That alternator is 100% repairable, assuming it still works. It's basically cosmetic.

JB Weld, sand paper, and a bit of time and patience.