Lupo Enamel Pin Badges - £5

T3LLIOTT

A V W representive sent an email stating it is ‘trademark infringement’ and Etsy took down the listing. Frankly I’m in no mood to protest this, as it would be more stress/hassle than what it’s worth. 

By the time labour, shipping and production costs are involved, we make pretty much nothing (the reason we needed 15/20 people interested at the start to cover costs), so unfortunately I don’t really have a choice :( 

I still have a few of each colour (I remade a few more before receiving this), but won’t be listing them - Sorry. 

It's not a trademark infringment if there's no mention on the product itself that it is a VW! Use the analogy that a child at school made a painting of a car that looks like a VW Beetle (for example)... There's no mention of VW (The trade mark is VW). That pic is now reproduced in a newspaper all over the world in millions. The image (or in this case, item) is a facsimile or caricature of an item and is an interpretation of the original design. It is clearly not a copy, doesn't claim to be an original item or claim to be made by the manufacturer. What a load of BS. If anything, it's copyright infringment as it looks like 'a thing'. Serve them an injunction and tell them to FO.

Carry on selling YOUR work of art on here.

Hey, just had a thought... any publicity is good publicity. You could use this VW letter to help you sell more and raise the public awareness of your business. If the media ran a story about how a small arty one-man business was threatened with legal action because of the pure appreciation and admiration of a model of car, with worldwide following, people would be outraged. It'd make a great headline story..... raise your business's awareness for sure.

Edited by mk2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mk2 said:

It's not a trademark infringment if there's no mention on the product itself that it is a VW! Use the analogy that a child at school made a painting of a car that looks like a VW Beetle (for example)... There's no mention of VW (The trade mark is VW). That pic is now reproduced in a newspaper all over the world in millions. The image (or in this case, item) is a facsimile or caricature of an item and is an interpretation of the original design. It is clearly not a copy, doesn't claim to be an original item or claim to be made by the manufacturer. What a load of BS. If anything, it's copyright infringment as it looks like 'a thing'. Serve them an injunction and tell them to FO.

Carry on selling YOUR work of art on here.

Hey, just had a thought... any publicity is good publicity. You could use this VW letter to help you sell more and raise the public awareness of your business. If the media ran a story about how a small arty one-man business was threatened with legal action because of the pure appreciation and admiration of a model of car, with worldwide following, people would be outraged. It'd make a great headline story..... raise your business's awareness for sure.

I do hear what you are saying and will not use the term VW or a model again (even though it is my artwork as you state). I'll make a car pin badge available to people on here that looks similar to a blue car I used to own ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 10/24/2018 at 9:54 PM, T3LLIOTT said:

I could make them without the pin backing mate. 

If a few more show interest, I’ll look at getting them into production 👍🏻

Holy thread revival... but only because-

After some nice person decided to break the front of my Taffeta Green Lupo the other day- while it was parked - I had to rebuild the indicator panel today. Lots of fun.

So this afternoon while respraying it after fibreglassing, filling, priming and rebuilding, I remembered that I had a few of these gorgeous metal embossed pin badge things. But not one in the right colour green.

So out with the microscope and a single fibreglass strand (as a micro paint brush), and I painted it. So now, all my pin badge things match my cars (plus a few extras)! I'll post a pic once the 2k lacquer has set.

Originally, they must have taken ages to paint. Can't possibly imagine that they were done by machine.

Recommended to new members for sure!

DSCN5436.jpg

Edited by mk2
pic added :)
  • Like 2

On 3/14/2022 at 10:01 PM, oprn said:

Are they still available, in green?

I actually have 1 left in green (have a few red and silver left over).

If you want one, send £5 via PayPal to tom@houseoflogos.co.uk. Pop your postal address in the notes section and I'll get it out to you.

On 3/12/2022 at 6:58 PM, mk2 said:

Holy thread revival... but only because-

After some nice person decided to break the front of my Taffeta Green Lupo the other day- while it was parked - I had to rebuild the indicator panel today. Lots of fun.

So this afternoon while respraying it after fibreglassing, filling, priming and rebuilding, I remembered that I had a few of these gorgeous metal embossed pin badge things. But not one in the right colour green.

So out with the microscope and a single fibreglass strand (as a micro paint brush), and I painted it. So now, all my pin badge things match my cars (plus a few extras)! I'll post a pic once the 2k lacquer has set.

Originally, they must have taken ages to paint. Can't possibly imagine that they were done by machine.

Recommended to new members for sure!

DSCN5436.jpg

Mate, that looks quality! Great job getting the paint into all the right areas with no over spill. :thumbup:

23 hours ago, T3LLIOTT said:

I actually have 1 left in green (have a few red and silver left over).

If you want one, send £5 via PayPal to tom@houseoflogos.co.uk. Pop your postal address in the notes section and I'll get it out to you.

Would that price include the post to Canada?

9 minutes ago, oprn said:

Would that price include the post to Canada?

£15 posted via Royal Mail tracked to Canada (delivery aim 5-7 days). I'll send the tracking number to you straight away, but I can't take any responsibility if the item goes missing.

16 hours ago, mk2 said:

Send it to me and I'll forward it... :) Regular air mail should be sufficient. It has no value to anyone else.

I'm also happy to send it Royal Mail economy, but the delivery time is like 30/40+ days. I recently sent something to Netherlands using this method and it took over 2 months!

But if you want one, just keep me posted how you want to arrange. 👍