Inner CV Joint Advice

Something is very wrong somewhere. You shouldn't need to do that. Wrong outer cv joint? Wrong wheel bearing? Is the little plastic end stop in place on the drive shaft, next to the cone spring washer? (Inside the cv joint)

Ah... did you ever rebuild the outer cv joint? Maybe the spider was replaced the wrong way round (taper on spline edge towards plastic spacer/washer thing). That would kick everything out by about 5-7mm???

Axle stands and a jack underneath pushing the wishbone up.

I think you can steal those washers from MK4 Astra's as well.

Similar set up was used on an ecoshite lupo I bought a few years back.

1 hour ago, mk2 said:

Something is very wrong somewhere. You shouldn't need to do that. Wrong outer cv joint? Wrong wheel bearing? Is the little plastic end stop in place on the drive shaft, next to the cone spring washer? (Inside the cv joint)

Ah... did you ever rebuild the outer cv joint? Maybe the spider was replaced the wrong way round (taper on spline edge towards plastic spacer/washer thing). That would kick everything out by about 5-7mm???

Nope, tried a few shafts now, all the same. One off the polo the engine came with and the original one out of the 1.0 Lupo. Engine mounts are fine too. 

50 minutes ago, Rich said:

Axle stands and a jack underneath pushing the wishbone up.

I think you can steal those washers from MK4 Astra's as well.

Similar set up was used on an ecoshite lupo I bought a few years back.

Aye. Did it on a lift and a big block of wood under the ball joint! Same effect I guess.

I can’t fully work it out and I don’t have the original suspension to weigh it up with really but something in the set up is pulling the drivers side one out further than it should be. 

Ill be getting new wheel bearings soon anyway so will be able to see what they’re like soon. 

All the lateral travel is on the inner cv joint, if you have run out of travel with normal suspension travel and lock then something isnt right at all. is this just one side or does the passenger side show similar issues?

Aren't there differences in the 085 gearbox drive flanges and drive shafts? I thought there was but cant find what i was thinking off just now and might be mixing it up with different boxes.

Passenger side was pulled out a little but not as much as the drivers one. 

I agree you’d think it should be fine. Okay it’s on coilovers but it isn’t really much lower than standard ride height anyway. 

As far as I know, all 085 boxes share the same casing and drive flanges. Shafts are the same across all of the petrol lupos too I think. 

It does make me wonder though, what if this is in fact normal, but realistically who’s going to check the plunge on their driveshafts? Maybe the use of the car is what has exaggerated the impact.

Cant see anything different elsewhere.

I know you can get different gearbox mounts, but again as the casing is the same on all of the boxes, so long as both the chassis and the gearbox part of this are the correct pair then it should always align to the same point. 

Edited by cj1

46 minutes ago, Rich said:

Go find a TDI and look at the angle of the passenger side shaft.

That's the worrying one.

Haha, I’d never noticed! Just had a look at the one I have here! 

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Go find a TDI and look at the angle of the passenger side shaft.

That's the worrying one.

Yeah, and I thought nobody else had noticed! it makes me wonder why they didn't use tripod instead of CV joints. Just look at the angle when on full lock left. Do a drift at speed with full lock... clunk, bang.

Thinking about it- isn't it the same for all 085 boxed Lupos/Arosas?

Edited by mk2
Afterthought...

Glad you are working it through the problem.

It doesn't take much to jam a joint, there could have been a little bit of grit in the joint that found its way into the joint - did you clean out and re-pack the joints? or are the as you got them?

I ran over a 3x3 fence post at 70 in my old Mk3 - I will spare the details - but the suspension travel was further than normal and the impact dislodged something in the one of the drive shaft joints, wheel balanced, but there was still a horrible vibration that made me feel sick - fixed with a new driveshaft. 

13 minutes ago, Rich said:

The TDI uses tripod shafts.

The whole 085 thing is just recycling the whole MK1 small engine gearbox.

The 02o carried on all the way up to the MK4. 

I wonder if it's possible to use the tripod system in an SDI. Not that it needs it. Only ever had to change outers so far on mine.

My gearbox guru chap told me the exact same about the older mk1 = 085 similarities. I had noticed a few similarities on the outsides, like the covers, but yeah, it is interesting. Makes me wonder why they went all mad on the type of gearbox lube then. Nought wrong with EP75W90 gear oil. Or synthetic equiv. Oh, and i just used an Audi 100 clutch plate in one of my SDIs.... only difference on close examination between the latest 2010 plate and the 1980 plate was the anti shock springs being slightly fatter. Maybe friction material too (old stuff containing asbestos).

I reckon the mechanical guys at VAG must just have a giant warehouse, lego style, bin of bits they pick from when building new cars. Like everyone on here already knows, the give away is usually the first three digits of a part number. So many 191 parts in a Lupo! Handy for me with my mk2s...

It is all about cost.

Fluid, thinner stuff, less resistance, more mpg, less emissions, shorter shelf life as it is like urine at operating temperature.

This is why I drop out vag green cabbage water Pas fluid and replace with Dex II

Interesting. Completely agree on gbox lube.

But I've only ever encountered one duff PAS pump fail. And in a mk2. But i think I must be the only person ever who flushes the PAS system. And i hang a magnet in the reservoir. Curious what it collects over time.

Dexron 2. Hmm. Penzoil (is it 768? -can't remember) is better. As is Amsoil.

Odd fact of the day... (or so I've been told) JCB type 46 hydraulic fluid (the most common in all plant) is vegetable oil based so when it leaks it doesn't cause an environmental disaster (100L in 20 seconds).

Had the alignment checked. All seems pretty good with that! 

Next event is the 3rd November so let’s see how we get on :D 

if anything I’m now more concerned about the TDI and how it gets away with the angle! Ha cheers rich! 

209EE58B-D920-4FBC-A1F1-FAFB8CB96E7E.jpeg

Update, I measured the floor to middle of front arch height on the TDI I have at standard ride height, and compared to the rally car. When taking into consideration wheel sizes, I calculated that the lupo is effectively only ~30mm lower than standard. So doubt there's any issue there.

Went and did some track time at local race circuit, giving it the "beans" as it were on a lot of lock quite often and no issue.

For now we can file this under: Case resolved with 6mm driveshaft washers. 

7 minutes ago, weslangdon said:

Is that a single wiper conversion?

Nope... That's a "I snapped one wiper arm taking it off so it currently lives on the road car, lets hope it doesn't rain on this rally" conversion :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, update. Did a rally at Oulton Park over the weekend. Drivers side shaft was completely fine. 

I had a moment where I slid into a barrier, and it was tight to get out of. I ended up giving it full acceleration of full lock to the right, boom went the outer CV on the passenger side (Stage 3). 

Got back to service and replaced for a new (Refurbished unit by Shaftec) shaft, which lasted less than 100 metres. Inner joint failed. Can only assume they're terrible, or I was supplied the wrong one. 

Fitted an old OEM one I have and all was fine for the remaining 5 stages (Out of 9). 

So my conclusion: 

• OEM Shafts > Re-manufactured 
  • All is well with the car following fitting spacers. 
  • Passenger side failure was due to driver error and bad parts. 

33 minutes ago, Rich said:

OEM is far greater than the cheap crap 

Yep. I did fear  that £65 seemed a bit too good to be true. 

So I've got a new OEM one on order. Fingers crossed we don't have any further issues! :)