Corrosion on a Gti

Anyone have any experience/wisdom regarding corrosion affecting one of the ally panels please?  There is a small (less than 1 cm) patch on one of mine.  My best local bodyshop says leave it, it's unlikely to develop much and would do so only very slowly.  And I read elsewhere that the corrosion process creates aluminium oxide, a hard material which protects the metal from further corrosion, (sounds too good to be true?). 

Currently the  work necessary to deal with this is pretty extensive - as much as would be the case if the affected area was much bigger, so there's a case for watching and waiting. But, equally, if a good solution would be a 'new' door, I'd best do this sooner rather than later as the supply of these from breakers progressively diminishes.

My car is in nice condition generally, 2005 MY and 61,000 miles and I plan to keep it long term and aim towards a concours condition.

What would you do?

DSC_0045_00045sml.jpg

On 9/16/2018 at 12:56 PM, Rich said:

Buy another door.

In all seriousness, fixing it would be the answer.

Research phaetons, they have aluminium doors and will show you the long term effects 

I concur. There is a guy on Facebook breaking a black Lupo gti and he has doors so this may help 

Edited by lupo1.0se

Thanks gents, I had in fact already been in touch with Levi.  I have also now got better advice and have got the problem into better perspective.  I'm going to monitor the patch and if it appears to be developing, I've got an ally-appropriate repair process ready to apply in the Spring.

I think I was spooked at first as I'm always saying how good cars have been since the Nineties in terms of corrosion resistance, and I'd had little personal experience of corrosion on aluminium, (though lots with rusting steel, having worked for Alfa Romeo in the Seventies/Eighties!) 

https://www.asminternational.org/documents/10192/3456792/06787G_Sample.pdf/c4151917-99fc-46e8-a310-d5578d0af160

The doors on GTI's are aluminium, so there is some truth to the corrosion line.... I would get it changed though. It's not a massive job really.

• 3 months later...