Has anyone done a flat bottom steering wheel upgrade?

Jordankeeble

I'm planning to do this on my Gti when I can get a donor wheel to send away to http://royalsteeringwheels.com/vw/  They have quoted me as follows: 

Full modification (Thicker, Thumb grips added + Flat bottom), Smooth leather all around, Red stitching 

The price would be 205GBP + 9.99Postage (Parcelforce next day recorded) and we would need 1-2 weeks to do so. 

Worth it I think because the look/feel of the wheel is a big part of the driving experience and there are too many complications in swopping for something like a Momo because of the air bag considerations.  The standard wheel in the Gti looks OK but is very skinny.

24 minutes ago, davy26 said:

I'm planning to do this on my Gti when I can get a donor wheel to send away to http://royalsteeringwheels.com/vw/  They have quoted me as follows: 

Full modification (Thicker, Thumb grips added + Flat bottom), Smooth leather all around, Red stitching 

The price would be 205GBP + 9.99Postage (Parcelforce next day recorded) and we would need 1-2 weeks to do so. 

Worth it I think because the look/feel of the wheel is a big part of the driving experience and there are too many complications in swopping for something like a Momo because of the air bag considerations.  The standard wheel in the Gti looks OK but is very skinny.

Amazing thanks bud can they not supply the wheel aswell of do you have to supply !!

2 hours ago, Jordankeeble said:

Amazing thanks bud can they not supply the wheel aswell of do you have to supply !!

I gather they can supply donor wheels, but (logically) only for makes/models where they regularly are asked to do an upgrade, (like common old BMWs).  I could remove mine and send it, but I'd not be keen on being unable to drive the car for a couple of weeks.

The only drawback with the 'Royal Solution' is that they can't reduce the diameter - surely the car would feel much better with a 320 mm or 300 mm wheel?

20 hours ago, Jordankeeble said:

Help ! I’d like to upgrade the steering wheel maybe from a gti  flat bottom if anyone has done it ! 

I'll buy your old wheel off you if it's in ok condition (without the airbag bit). Mine is so worn, it's not funny. I wonder why they disintegrate like that.

Tried fitting my TT wheel yesterday. Physically it fits, the problem is that the clockspring for the airbag and horn wiring mounts on the steering wheel rather than the column. I'm sure it can be made to fit by replicating the 3 holes in the wheel. Not sure if the horn will work either as the newer wiring has 2 connections to the wheel whereas the older stuff uses the column to earth the horn.

• 2 months later...

Really nice work. Amazing what you can do with the help of a 3D Printer.... 

What I'd love to see is someone get the steering controls work. Will be an absolutely mare, but no reason a DIY'r couldn't hack them to work.

Being 6'5", I've always hoped the seatbelt would save me before I get punched in the face ☺️. When I find the Arosa wheel wiring, I'll get some pictures of the 2 connectors side by side and hopefully they'll be the same crimp and can be swapped over. Otherwise I'll just splice them to make a hybrid.

• 4 months later...

Have now finished mine. Found a reasonable donor wheel and had it re-trimmed in very smooth leather -  nice result.  Not sure whether or not to retain or sell my original wheel which is in great condition, but I don't think these are particularly valued as yet. 

SmlAdjDSCN2854_00005.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davy26 said:

Have now finished mine. Found a reasonable donor wheel and had it re-trimmed in very smooth leather -  nice result.  Not sure whether or not to retain or sell my original wheel which is in great condition, but I don't think these are particularly valued as yet. 

SmlAdjDSCN2854_00005.jpg

That's a nice touch pardon the pun.Id keep the spare steering wheel you just never know.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mk2 said:

How did you do the stitching? 

With my knackered hands/fingers and deteriorated eyesight I'd never be able to do that myself!  Retrim was done by Royal Steering Wheels and I'd say that both the materials they use and their workmanship are really good.