Clutch Pressure plate Torque??

LR5V

Thanks guys

Pete -  They are New - along with the flywheel bolts

Sausage  - agree, its got to be low due to size - as it stands I've done them to 25lb/ft till it gets confirmed

Think its a bad typo in the Haynes - 44lb/ft  + 90 degree - must be flywheel, but says pressure plate.

9 hours ago, Rich said:

If you're really worried you can go in through the starter motor later.

That just reminded me of probably the wierdest fault I'd ever come across. A (non VAG) car racks up to the workshop with the most awful noise coming from the engine when it was running. I mean bad. Worse than a gearbox crunching or thrust realese bearing having completely gone. The owners were just too scared to drive it one inch further. A really bad crunching, grinding rattling noise where everyone just had to stop and look.... wincingly bad.

So it was engine related for sure. Checked all the usual, like water pump, alternator and anything that bolts to the block. Couldn't find it. Drive to the wheels was fine. Gear shifts fine. Clutch fine. Not gearbox related then. Pulled valve cover off to have a look. No problems there either. Had to be bottom end. Pulled out plugs. Turned engine over witha spanner. All nice and tight. No clunking or anything. Hmm. Not the mains, big ends or rods then. No real blow by gases either. Not rings or pistons. Completely stumped at this point after about 45 minutes and the customers waiting. I did notice however, that while cranking the engine on the starter motor, the noise completely went, until the starter switched off. Then that awful din started up, just as the engine kicked into life. Pull starter.

Nope starter motor was just fine. But I did notice a fair amount of metal dust on the pinion gear. So with torch, into the starter hole i delved...yup, there it is. A loose starter ring gear! The thing was just hanging on, bouncing around on the flywheel. Five minute fix. Tack weld the ring onto the flywheel with equal amounts of weld to keep everything in balance. Fixed. Starter back in. Customers away in under  15 mins.

yup, it's amazing what you can do through the starter motor hole.... :)