VW Lupo 1.7 SDI Wanted

Volks

Me too. Ideally an Arosa SDI, but rare as... they go really quick if in good nick. Even I'm not fast enough to get one going cheap! They pop up every now and then. Probably the cheapest form of motoring in the UK at the mo.

Took me about 4 months to get one. Now have two. There were a few complete junk cars that the owners thought were amazing. Not. Paid probably more than i shoukd have; 2k for an S spec with 60k miles 4 years ago. It was in v good nick. A decent one will still set you back about £1500. Av about £800,  junk 350.

With the EGR mod'd, breather bypass and fresh gearbox oil, you can easily get 75mpg. Like to the beach and back for a tenner for me and 3 mates. And cheap to insure being such a low spec car. And cheap to tax. Low maintenance. You probably already know all this which is why you're looking for one!

They were the prices I had in mind! I’d prefer a SDI that needs work as I’d quite like to work on it and learn properly what it takes to maintain and fix a Lupo! Had a 1.4 S that was bulletproof and didn’t cost me anything just the usual wear and tear. Is sort of like the SDI as a project 

If someone had a spare rear beam, could bung it in the car with some tools. Get one of the cars going to basic MOT level, fix on the spot using parts from both cars, exchange some cash or gifts, book a local MOT, temporary insurance, online tax and drive away... in theory.

• 4 months later...

Long time lurker here. It’s with a heavy heart that I’ve decided to get rid of my lupo 1.7 sdi with it having failed it’s mot today.

ive been quoted £400 to get it repaired to pass (problems being shock absorbers, and suspension dust covers needing replacing, high labour cost jobs apparently).

i just don’t use the car enough to warrant spending the money, and would rather someone else get some use out of it.

ill be posting a proper add later, but if anyone’s interested let me know. Am keen for it to go to a good home. Year 2002, 112k miles, colour light blue.

I’m based near didcot, and the car is still good to drive until the end of jan (5 whole days) on its old mot.

D0006DC0-E461-48A2-8C0F-4B64AAF9AFBA.jpeg

0DADF4E0-C078-4199-9699-DCA523974D10.jpeg

From some casual research I’m guessing it’s worth ~ 1k if in full working order, so given the work needed to pass the mot, I was perhaps thinking roughly £600. But am open to offers.

it is in good condition, not a scrap of rust anywhere, starts instantly every time. Downsides are: rear bumper has paint peeling off, shallow dent in passenger door, windscreen wash system has slow leak and needs topping up every week.

1 hour ago, danno said:

@mk2 how far are you from Bath?

About hour and 3/4 ish. I'm looking for a fantasia green, poverty spec. Don't care about milage, just a good shell and interior. Although an Arosa SDI would be awesome.

the only 'real' mot fail is leaky shocks. Dust covers wont generally cause a fail unless there's excessive movement. The parts woukd be maybe 50-60 quid. 2 shocks, two bump stops, two ball joints. Easy work too. 2h labour woukd do it. There's a place in East Hagbourne that'd probably fix it fir you for a 'genuine' price if you supply the bits. Maybe £100?

if it can wait, i could do it for you... too busy at the mo. Happy to help out a fellow CL member.

16 minutes ago, danno said:

@mk2 there’s a pre £30 tax lupo sdi needing a clutch and a few things in Bath for £150 on scumtree.

That's true. Forgot to add £30 tax ideally... £240 road tax for an SDI is nuts. Mind you i pay that for my carpy mk4. SORNed....

thanks for the comments guys, especially @mk2 offering to do the work! that's super generous. (btw this car is 30 tax)

to be honest, i don't have the time (and definitely don't have the skills) to sort this out (2 young kids, long commute), and think it's probably best all round if it ends up in the hands of some one who can fix it up to pass the MOT and who will then get some decent use out of it (i barely use it, having recently switched job location).

@mk2 you originally sounded interested?